Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting back into wet tumbling

A few questions here.

After a while of just using vibratory I Installed a sink in my basement, bought shell sorters, and new media seperator So i want back into wet clean brass

I have a Big Dawg tumbler(does about 1200 45 brass at a time with 15lbs of pins) I would like to start running it and cleaning the pile of brass that has built up. But im home for 20 minutes in the morning(or as long as it takes to get the little one ready) and 2 hours at night(spent hanging out /feeding /putting to bed little one. I would like to try and use timers to make this work for me.

If I fill drum ready to go and put it on a timer to go on an hour before i get home so its ready at 830 when the babys sleeping. Would it be alright to sit in water all day?

Once its out of the tumbler would you trust going to sleep with a hornady dryer running? It would be on a 2 hr timer

Or should I just do a couple loads on the weekend?

I have the dryer on a concrete basement floor 4' from anything.

I run timers all the time for drying.. No problem what's so every.. My brass tumbler also runs on a timer. I don't leave it in water..not sure what the affect would be if you leave the brass in water.. Possible water spots? 

Edited by Furrly

You would be fine to leave the brass in the water prior to starting the cleaning process.  Do not let it sit in there not tumbling in the dirty water after the process has ended for very long.  If you let it sit in the dirty water for a long time (long time being several hours with out tumbling) then you will find that the dirty water starts to tarnish the brass.  If that happens you will need to empty the dirty water and re-clean the brass.

i have let mine sit overnight for about 10 hours after tumbling  and it had no effect on the brass.  on the dyer i would have no issue leaving it on a timer . they only run at about 150 degrees and its hot air.  they usually have a thermal fuse in them that will pop if they overheat.  

Tried filling it at night taking it out in the morning and made no difference. Timer started at 4 and I took em out at 615 threw them in dryer for 2 hours and came home they looked great

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I forgot I had a load of brass in my FA wet tumbling. I went out of town on business for a couple days. When I got back home I remembered the brass and all I did was tumbled the brass an additional 30 minutes and rinsed and dried as normal. No problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is good to know . Thanks for everyones input. Ive got 6 loads done in the last week using timers, all looks great.

Now I have a gallon of brass juice to try.

Also has anyone used Armorall wash and wax after tumbling if so can you do it dry in vibratory?