Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory STI firing control group vs aftermarket

urmaker45

I have a sti edge 2011 with tuned stock internals and atlas trigger . My question is would the trigger be improved with aftermarket internals tuned by a gunsmith  or would I not get much of a improvement verses cost ? Pretty much don’t want it much lighter just maybe more crisp .Also any suggestions on firing control group and ambi safety would be great . Looking at extreme engineering fcg and double tap ambi .

I have a sti edge 2011 with tuned stock internals and atlas trigger . My question is would the trigger be improved with aftermarket internals tuned by a gunsmith  or would I not get much of a improvement verses cost ? Pretty much don’t want it much lighter just maybe more crisp .Also any suggestions on firing control group and ambi safety would be great . Looking at extreme engineering fcg and double tap ambi .
who tuned them??

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fwiw, I have a 2011 Edge in .40 with an Atlas trigger, an Atlas tuned egw sear and Atlas tuned  hammer. Everything came good to go from the factory and dropped right in. The break feels like you’re snapping a glass rod. However, it is noticeably lighter than the stock STI fcg... probably in the neighborhood of 2.5 - 3 lbs.  I’m not for sure tho, I don’t have a trigger pull tool. 

Best of luck,

-T

4 minutes ago, ARac40 said:

Fwiw, I have a 2011 Edge in .40 with an Atlas trigger, an Atlas tuned egw sear and Atlas tuned  hammer. Everything came good to go from the factory and dropped right in. The break feels like you’re snapping a glass rod. However, it is noticeably lighter than the stock STI fcg... probably in the neighborhood of 2.5 - 3 lbs.  I’m not for sure tho, I don’t have a trigger pull tool. 

Best of luck,

-T

Is that all you replaced or do I need to get the rest of the fire control group since mine was tuned ? Mine is tuned now to about same weight I should have specified I didn’t want it below that . Did you go 17lb main spring or anything what ? 

Edited by urmaker45

A local gunsmith he did a good job 
I'd leave the hammer, disconnector and sear.

I use a 15 pound mainspring with an extended firing pin that has an extra power firing pin spring. No failures to ignite. Slide unlocks much easier and improvement in trigger weight/pull.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sti had good parts already, are there any better out there? Sure. How much do you want to spend for an incremental improvement? Take that money and buy ammo and shoot more.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

The fact that you have some creep means the angles on the sear nose an/or hammer hooks are not correct.  Both EGW and Extreme Engineering make outstanding fire control components.  I really cannot same whether one is better than the other.  I use both.  The only time I had to mess with an EE hammer was one time the hooks came in at .016" and were not parallel.  A few strokes with a stone cured that.

I prefer to start with EGW parts, only because the portion of the sear that contacts the thumb safety is narrower than the others.  If you fit a TS to an EGW sear and it ever wears out, replacing the sear with an EE sear will make the TS work again.  Next step up the ladder is Harrison Custom.  I have used all three of these sears and have no complaints about any of them.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

The fact that you have some creep means the angles on the sear nose an/or hammer hooks are not correct.  Both EGW and Extreme Engineering make outstanding fire control components.  I really cannot same whether one is better than the other.  I use both.  The only time I had to mess with an EE hammer was one time the hooks came in at .016" and were not parallel.  A few strokes with a stone cured that.

I prefer to start with EGW parts, only because the portion of the sear that contacts the thumb safety is narrower than the others.  If you fit a TS to an EGW sear and it ever wears out, replacing the sear with an EE sear will make the TS work again.  Next step up the ladder is Harrison Custom.  I have used all three of these sears and have no complaints about any of them.

Could you elaborate on the Harrison Custom fcg?? just curious for knowledge

1 hour ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Could you elaborate on the Harrison Custom fcg?? just curious for knowledge

I've never used an entire HC group, only individual parts.  I'm a fan of the True Radius sears.  I used to use them, but now I just buy an extra long nose EGW sear and put the radius on myself.  As an added benefit, the long nose sear does not come with the secondary cut.  My general feeling about Harrison Custom parts is you have to be prepared to do some fitting.  I've never used a HC part, except a TR sear, that did not require some work to install.

1 hour ago, Loudgp said:

I have been looking into the svi fcg set for some time, but is it worth the costs ? 🤔

IMO, no.  I particularly do not like the way they handle the contact pad on the thumb safety.  If you decide to get one, I would not waste the money on tri-glide.  The 'jewels' will eventually fall out.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

IMO, no.  I particularly do not like the way they handle the contact pad on the thumb safety.  If you decide to get one, I would not waste the money on tri-glide.  The 'jewels' will eventually fall out.

Thanks for the heads up... i wasn't sure if it was worth it or not... guessing not....