Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I got DQ'ed... and it sucks

mreed911

Prelude: I'm an RO, so I've been on the other side of this coin.

Happened to be in state for Bighorn this year.  Signed up to shoot.  Four stages in, halfway through a stage, got a "Stop! Unload and show clear!"  I'm figuring there was a REF.

Next thing I know I'm being told I broke the 180 to my left when moving out of a to-my-left shooting position.  Both RO's say they saw it.  At that point, even though I disagree, I can't argue it... match is over for me.

Absolutely sucked.  To this day, replaying it in my mind, I don't agree, especially because I was moving left-to-right, which would have put my left shoulder in front of my right one with the gun pointing left (and coming back right).  I'll admit it's *possible* that what I remember and what actually happened are two different things.

To be clear, I'm not saying the RO's were wrong.  They were in a position to watch me, and they made the call the believe they saw, and they did it for the right reasons.  At that point, as a good competitor, it doesn't matter what I *think*, only what the call is, and the RO's are equaly responsible for safety as they are getting it right.

On the plus side, the staff were fantastic, the match well organized, and the new facility they have out there in Cameo is second-to-none in terms of functionality, comfort and natural beauty.  This Texan is jealous.

It also doesn't hurt that I was having gun/ammo problems, which means I wasn't anywhere near contention for my best match performance ever... effing distributor couldn't get me the ammo I'd ordered and they'd shown as in stock on time, so I had to go with something else.  Grrr.....

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I have seen competitors point the gun directly uprange and never think they broke the 180, funny how that works.  

You might have to explain that one to my feeble mind.  :)

Edit: Nevermind.  UPrange, not DOWNrange.  :)

Edited by mreed911

Sorry that happened. Thanks for taking it so well and displaying good sportsmanship. 

That being said, I almost wish I had been there to see it because like you, I find it hard to imagine a right hander breaking a 180 moving left to right.

7 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Were you reloading, at that point ?

Was anyone videotaping the match at that point ?

I was not reloading - I had reloaded on the way in to that position.

Videotape wouldn't matter - I was downrange, behind walls, so nothing would have been visible.  Even if it were, it's not considerable.

I had a new firearm decide it wanted to go bang, .... dq~ ad , slide didnt go into battery fully, i taped the slide racker and bang.. went off.. i was done...lol  it happens.. 6 yrs shooting uspsa and never had a dq let alone issues like that gun was doing... 

19 hours ago, mreed911 said:

Next thing I know I'm being told I broke the 180 to my left when moving out of a to-my-left shooting position.  Both RO's say they saw it.  At that point, even though I disagree, I can't argue it... match is over for me.

It is very easy for an R.O., and scorekeeper,  to make a bad call in real time when they are looking at your back and have a mental image of where the gun is.

Do not know details of your case but have seen that mistake made a couple times. It sucks. 

My best advice to new shooters is to make it obvious that the gun is pointed in a safe direction so that the r.o. won't be tempted to make a bad call.