Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2019 georgia state uspsa championship

I haven't seen anything on the match on social media. I have gone to Strongpoints website the different facebook pages and here, am I just missing something. I have registered but nothing out there past matchsignup.  The match is listed under universal shooting academy frostproof but nothing there also. If I'm frig blind I'm sorry but this is unusual for Georgia state matches. I kinda like the build up of a match, the release of the match book and stuff. Whats up???

• 1 month later...

they just sent out the match book via email last week.

After last years influx of sandbagger shooters from out of state taking prize table money from local state shooters I am not surprised they are not heavily advertising availability.

There were several "C" class PCC guys who shot at master class level from FL that should have been given field bumps.

Of course I could be wrong.

There is some FB postings in the USPSA area 6 page

This match was underwhelming. I joined this forum just to put it out there. Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club puts on club matches monthly that are the caliber of stages this was for a state championship. I just moved to Georgia about 5 months ago and I was treated like I wasn't wanted there. I asked 3 times if there was a raffle and was told there was but nobody would sell me tickets. It was like " I think he is selling them ask that guy no its this other guy" very disappointing. I am looking for a club here in Georgia to shoot club matches and I tried talking to the guy that runs the matches there and he acted like he didn't want to talk to me. I have shot other extreme gm matches and loved the experience, this one makes me want to shot IDPA or something else. Southern hospitality is everything I've been told as long as you don't try to shoot a uspsa match.

This match was underwhelming. I joined this forum just to put it out there. Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club puts on club matches monthly that are the caliber of stages this was for a state championship. I just moved to Georgia about 5 months ago and I was treated like I wasn't wanted there. I asked 3 times if there was a raffle and was told there was but nobody would sell me tickets. It was like " I think he is selling them ask that guy no its this other guy" very disappointing. I am looking for a club here in Georgia to shoot club matches and I tried talking to the guy that runs the matches there and he acted like he didn't want to talk to me. I have shot other extreme gm matches and loved the experience, this one makes me want to shot IDPA or something else. Southern hospitality is everything I've been told as long as you don't try to shoot a uspsa match.

I never heard about a raffle. Not sure what that was about.

Where did you move to in Georgia?

I am the club president for GPSL in Atlanta. I know just about every club match in the metro area, indoor and outdoor. Hit me up in a PM if your in ATL and I'll fill you in. All the local clubs here love to have new shooters, experienced or newbies!

Overall I liked the stages. They could have flowed a bit better.

I heard a rumor that river bend gun club is being eyed as the next location for the 2020 state match.
If you have ever shot there you already know that they shoot 9 stages once a month already so getting to 10 is easy. On top of that Randy and the other stage designers there do a great job and put on challenging stages.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I'd like to hear more.

Is this a single unhappy customer, or. . .?

**Having been involved in  the GA State match in the past, and knowing a little about the parties involved (the SC, etc.), I'm curious about the overall match experience, good or bad. **Randy isn't just good folks, he's Best Folks.

markcurrington had a less than ideal experience. What about the rest of y'all?

Feedback is helpful. Good or bad. 

Let's hear it.

14 hours ago, markcurington said:

I disagree. I shot the match and found the staff to be helpful and friendly. I enjoyed the stages and thought that they were appropriate for a Level 2.  I have shot a lot at Port Malabar as well as many Extreme GM events.  As much as I like Malabar (shooting there Saturday), the stages are not of this caliber.  

There was a random prize drawing. If you won, they told you at registration.  Unaware of the opportunity to buy tickets.

Minor issues: 

Venue was fair.  Not a lot of shade or seating ( i will bring my own chair next time).

They were understaffed.  One shooter had to do the paper scoring backup instead of having a third staff member.  Not a big deal but it was one less paster/re-setter on a really hot weekend.

The chrono setup was odd. Usually, i have gone to chrono after shooting a stage and then return to the squad.  Instead, we all went en masse to chrono and then had a full squad backup on the next stage

1 hour ago, Balakay said:

I disagree. I shot the match and found the staff to be helpful and friendly. I enjoyed the stages and thought that they were appropriate for a Level 2.  I have shot a lot at Port Malabar as well as many Extreme GM events.  As much as I like Malabar (shooting there Saturday), the stages are not of this caliber.  

There was a random prize drawing. If you won, they told you at registration.  Unaware of the opportunity to buy tickets.

Minor issues: 

Venue was fair.  Not a lot of shade or seating ( i will bring my own chair next time).

They were understaffed.  One shooter had to do the paper scoring backup instead of having a third staff member.  Not a big deal but it was one less paster/re-setter on a really hot weekend.

The chrono setup was odd. Usually, i have gone to chrono after shooting a stage and then return to the squad.  Instead, we all went en masse to chrono and then had a full squad backup on the next stage

Only chrono I have ever done is whole squad shows up together, gets briefed by chrono man just like any other stage, etc. I would find it “odd” to just filter in one by one.

13 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Only chrono I have ever done is whole squad shows up together, gets briefed by chrono man just like any other stage, etc. I would find it “odd” to just filter in one by one.

I guess you have not been to Frostproof. 

If chrono is going to happen for example after stage 10, prior to stage 1, the last 3 shooters in the lineup go to chrono first.  After you shoot the stage, go straight to chrono. I believe we have done it this way at A6 as well.  This speeds up the process as opposed to a 45-50 minute dedicated chrono stage 11 on the squad matrix

17 hours ago, markcurington said:

Hello: Come to the monthly USPSA match at River Bend Gun Club. You will enjoy the match for sure. We have 7 stages but sometimes more. The quality of stages matches some of the best in the country or even better. $20 match fee as well. I am not sure about River Bend holding the 2020 state match since  we already put on a great match with 100 or so entrants. Sorry to hear about your GA State match experience but all the clubs I have shot with around here are great. Hope to see you at River Bend Gun Club. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

5 hours ago, Balakay said:

I guess you have not been to Frostproof. 

If chrono is going to happen for example after stage 10, prior to stage 1, the last 3 shooters in the lineup go to chrono first.  After you shoot the stage, go straight to chrono. I believe we have done it this way at A6 as well.  This speeds up the process as opposed to a 45-50 minute dedicated chrono stage 11 on the squad matrix

I tend to avoid Area 6. Too hot. 😎Depends on the chrono man I guess. Ken Skeeters has always done the majors I have been to and he gets irate if anyone is missing from the squad when they show up. I have always had to assign a time slot to chrono and don't see ever changing the way I do it. Also, if it takes 45 minutes to chrono a squad something is amiss. 

Edited by Sarge

16 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

I'd like to hear more.

Is this a single unhappy customer, or. . .?

**Having been involved in  the GA State match in the past, and knowing a little about the parties involved (the SC, etc.), I'm curious about the overall match experience, good or bad. **Randy isn't just good folks, he's Best Folks.

markcurrington had a less than ideal experience. What about the rest of y'all?

Feedback is helpful. Good or bad. 

Let's hear it.

I really enjoyed the match despite me not shooting well. The only issues I really had with the match besides the heat (not that anyone can control that, and it looked like they did an awesome job providing water at the range) was that they seemed to be short on RO's like last year, but not as bad, and some of the RO's didn't seem to know the rules or be willing to enforce them.

But I thought the stages were fantastic, but I personally would have preferred to have some lower round count stages sprinkled in (shorts and mediums).

Overall, I am very glad I went and had a great time.

I enjoyed the match, I thought the stages were good and had a nice mix of hoser with some distance thrown in.  The only thing I would change have liked to see with the stages is maybe a couple of short or medium courses thrown in.    Things seemed well thought out.  As far as match management goes, everything went smooth (I can only speak for Friday) no backups and the staff was great. 

I didn't know there was a raffle, there was no shooters meeting on Friday. 

Overall, no complaints from me, I had a blast!

The stages were good.  

There was one stage that only had one RO who ran the timer, causing the squad to have to run the pad.  IMO, that's unacceptable at a L2 match due to competitive equity issues.  Active competitors should not have a role in scoring other active competitors (again, IMO).

Not a huge deal, just a concern.  Overall, a quality match.