Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for 1911

HerdThinner

7 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

use 38 super mags and load as long as your chamber allows

I have 1911s that have never seen a factory round and dont have feeding problems (insert s#!tty 1911 jam joke here). Use the 38 super or 10mm mags (whatever gun you have) and load em long

I have been loading plated for a 5" sig 1911 and it has always shot accurately.  But I always watch the crimp.  We shoot some longer steel on days when not a lot of guys show up.  Just watch for under sized bullets order 4000 off gun  broker a few years ago and they measured .354.  They didn't shoot well in anything.

I built a 1991 9mm Open gun for steel challenge.  It is a twin to my 2011 Open gun for USPSA.  Both shoot the same load equally well.  After a lot of trying, tweaking and conditioning I settled on Brownells 9mm 1911 mags.  The look like they were made by Metalform.  I initially had lots of issues with them, mostly because 9mm mag springs are quite stiff.  Leaving them fully loaded whenever I wasn't shooting them eventually conditioned the springs.  Now I can shoot full mags of 1.161; OAL rounds all day long.  BTW, I only shoot JHPs in either gun.

I've only loaded .45 for 1911 and there the magazines seem to be the finicky thing, as long as the rounds are somewhat decent.

I have CMC and Tripp magazines, and occasionally there's one that needs a little massaging to keep it ejecting freely and feeding properly.

6 hours ago, perttime said:

I've only loaded .45 for 1911 and there the magazines seem to be the finicky thing, as long as the rounds are somewhat decent.

Same here for 5". If there's a problem feeding, it is usually the mag. No problem at all getting good accuracy. In fact, my 1911s are the most accurate pistols I have.

I have a Springfield RO that has the tightest chamber I have ever seen. I’ve had some feeding and extraction issues with hand loads but most factory ammo works great. Same hand loads work fine in all my other guns. Might have someone ream the chamber to make it more friendly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk