Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Specific 115g PCC load questions.

OK, I've read and searched throughout the forum and still haven't found a concensus so decided to ask in my post. I just came across a good deal on some 115g Xtremes and have CFE Pistol on hand. I will be sticking to 1.125 OAL to run a Goliath extension. Any insight of a good PF range I should be running to take advantage of the comp? 

I'm running my first PCC build so far 500 or so rounds at 132 PF with 124gr Xtremes and TG its been reliable and very pleased with the performance. QC10 lower, Timney PCC flat blade trigger, 16 inch Ballistics Advantage barrel with VG6 Gamma comp, Foxtrot Mike bolt and Taccom 3 stage buffer system, running short stroked. Not looking for specific load data but if you have experience with a similar setup and 115g loads shared thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Boxerglocker

I run the Taccom Extreme BCG with weight out & 3-stage buffer with 115's RN plated at just over 125 PF. 14.5 JP pinned barrel with their tac comp. Had the SS but really couldn't tell the difference.  My GD runs a stock NFA BCG with weight in & 3-stage buffer same load in a Taccom 5"ULW upper. Both guns cycle fast and dot does not move. Hers has a little more felt recoil.

I tried many different combo of PF & bullet weights & this is the best for our PCC's.

gerritm

23 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

130-135pf range is nice, did not like CFE Pistol powder as it didnt seem to burn completely and left powder gain in upper around bcg. I’m using WSF powder as seems to work comp better than faster burning powders. 

I noticed the same thing when I was developing a load for my MPX.  Lower charge weights of CFE around 130 PF were leaving unburnt powder in the upper.  Loading it a few tenths of a grain hotter (closer to 138-140 PF) resulted in a more complete burn. 

Edited by sixsixnine
1 hour ago, HoMiE said:

130-135pf range is nice, did not like CFE Pistol powder as it didnt seem to burn completely and left powder gain in upper around bcg. I’m using WSF powder as seems to work comp better than faster burning powders. 

38 minutes ago, sixsixnine said:

I noticed the same thing when I was developing a load for my MPX.  Lower charge weights of CFE around 130 PF were leaving unburnt powder in the upper.  Loading it a few tenths of a grain hotter (closer to 138-140 PF) resulted in a more complete burn. 

Thanks for the insight on the CFE Pistol. I had actually heard some statements in regards to incomplete powder burn. I loaded up 20 rounds with the 115 Xtremes
at 4.9g which is the minimum charge in Hodgdon online loading guide for a 115 LRN. I'll see where it sits on velocity in my barrel and perhaps work down from there. I'm not opposed to picking up another pound of powder just to send these 115s downrange, CFE Pistol is just what I have a surplus off on hand. I had read that many liked HS-6 at that 140ish PF range for 115s, so figured CFE Pistol should work similarly as it's only a couple of places down the velocity chart than HS-6.

2 minutes ago, Boxerglocker said:

Thanks for the insight on the CFE Pistol. I had actually heard some statements in regards to incomplete powder burn. I loaded up 20 rounds with the 115 Xtremes
at 4.9g which is the minimum charge in Hodgdon online loading guide for a 115 LRN. I'll see where it sits on velocity in my barrel and perhaps work down from there. I'm not opposed to picking up another pound of powder just to send these 115s downrange, CFE Pistol is just what I have a surplus off on hand. I had read that many liked HS-6 at that 140ish PF range for 115s, so figured CFE Pistol should work similarly as it's only a couple of places down the velocity chart than HS-6.

You mentioned in your initial post that your goal is to create enough gas to work a comp, but I've had way better results (in the AR platform, at least) from a fast powder like TiteGroup with a lighter spring and less reciprocating mass than I ever did from trying to work the comp on the end of a 16" barrel.

Just my $.02

5 hours ago, Boxerglocker said:

Depending on barrel length, you will be much lower than the starting charge weight. I have a14.5” barrel and I was around 4.4-4.5gr of CFE with 115 jhp for 1175-1200fps. I think you will be close to 1300fps at 4.9gr out of 16” barrel. 

1 hour ago, HoMiE said:

Depending on barrel length, you will be much lower than the starting charge weight. I have a14.5” barrel and I was around 4.4-4.5gr of CFE with 115 jhp for 1175-1200fps. I think you will be close to 1300fps at 4.9gr out of 16” barrel. 

I'm sure it will be a little higher but wanted to try something within the range to see if the unburnt powder issue would be resolved at that point. 

On 7/29/2019 at 6:09 PM, HoMiE said:

Well, just as a follow up. Looks like I got lucky with the current lot of CFE PISTOL  I have, 4.9g with a 115g Xtreme plated at 1.125 OAL put me right at 136-7 PF at the muzzle with a Magneto speed V3. I'm going to bump it a tenth to 5g and load up 500 to practice with. Recoil is a little snappy but the dot rise is predictable, goes up about an inch and immediately settles back. I zeroed on a 3 inch round See N Shoots at 50 yards and had fist size groups of 5 with a 2 MOA Holosun red dot.

4.9CFE115.jpg.80669ea8ca63a8c2d00e76509ba1f756.jpg

Edited by Boxerglocker
7 hours ago, Boxerglocker said:

Well, just as a follow up. Looks like I got lucky with the current lot of CFE PISTOL  I have, 4.9g with a 115g Xtreme plated at 1.125 OAL put me right at 136-7 PF at the muzzle with a Magneto speed V3. I'm going to bump it a tenth to 5g and load up 500 to practice with. Recoil is a little snappy but the dot rise is predictable, goes up about an inch and immediately settles back. I zeroed on a 3 inch round See N Shoots at 50 yards and had fist size groups of 5 with a 2 MOA Holosun red dot.

4.9CFE115.jpg.80669ea8ca63a8c2d00e76509ba1f756.jpg

Nice