Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Support hand position....how do you hold it?

Hey PCC Shooters splitting hairs on technique style but that sometimes what we do here. Been playing with different support hand positions. I have been using a finger rest with thumb pointed at the target resting alongside the handguard. Good control but I felt as I shot faster I had a tendency of pulling shots low. I recently started trying to point my index finger at target with thumb on top of handguard seeing if that gave a more natural feel and point referencing. Also been trying to see which gives a better natural pointing reference with the dot turned off and shooting targets simply by referencing feel. With a little practice is kind of amazing what can be done. Anyone experiment with any of these techniques and learn to capitalize on it on stages?

Index finger pointed at target thumb over the top is my preferred way. I’m trying to crush my handguard with my grip, elbow locked at say 120-130*. My hand position is about half way down handguard, stock 6 clicks out shooting off my pec. 

I practice the hopkins dry fire drill a couple times a week with my dot off for 3-5 min. Imo the index or pointer finger is the most natural aide in indexing on a target.  The biggest help to getting on target fast and accurate is leading with the eyes and fixating on a certain spot on said target. 

607249AD-9B50-46FC-BA47-4CFB5FC6866F.jpeg

Edited by Bwillis
16 minutes ago, Bwillis said:

Index finger pointed at target thumb over the top is my preferred way. I’m trying to crush my handguard with my grip, elbow locked at say 120-130*. My hand position is about half way down handguard, stock 6 clicks out shooting of my pec. 

607249AD-9B50-46FC-BA47-4CFB5FC6866F.jpeg

Thanks for the specifics. Looks solid.

I can’t really speak on any stages due to work/life lately, but I’m a believer in stock out as far as you can, combined with support-hand thumb over bore clamp as far out as you can manage, usually for me a little further than what is casually comfortable. To me it equals being very “deliberate” where it’s pointed while my body is “stuck” on the gun... YMMV, but I find if I follow through on the above mantra the mechanical advantage of holding a “rifle” like it’s long, goes a long way for accuracy as well as with follow up shots because your body position makes it easier to “man-handle” the gun and control recoil... Just like with pistols IMHO, support hand does most of it.

take my exact same support hand position i use on a pistol and extend it out a comfortable distance on a round handguard on my pcc. that's it, no difference in what it looks like.

but now instead of applying force transversely through the grip it is now pushing the whole gun back into my shoulder and initiating movement.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

take my exact same support hand position i use on a pistol and extend it out a comfortable distance on a round handguard on my pcc. that's it, no difference in what it looks like.

but now instead of applying force transversely through the grip it is now pushing the whole gun back into my shoulder and initiating movement.

Thumb pointed at target, fingers gripping handguard? If so that's what I am doing but I added a finger rest for additional force with my index. Looking to experiment with index finger pointing at target for better reference. May or may at not work for me but noticing some top shooters using a form of this. I know it's popular in the shotgun/clay sports world for quick index/point shooting.

in my case my thumb is doing that pointing for me.

i don't use a hand stop, but i do use grip tape where i like my hand to generally be most the time.

i think what works is what you do the most reps of. simply that, even if you're doing something some would call non-classical. (i.e. look at Lena's stance and foot position)

Edited by rowdyb

My hand position is slightly different than most people because I'm 6' 5" with long arms.  My thumb is actually on top of the handguard while my index finger is on the front of the handguard under the comp.  This allows me to pull the PCC into my shoulder.  

Here's a pic from a video.  ignore the start position.  This club makes PCC start stock touching belt, weak hand on gun, strong hand at side.

Untitled.jpg

8 hours ago, stick said:

My hand position is slightly different than most people because I'm 6' 5" with long arms.  My thumb is actually on top of the handguard while my index finger is on the front of the handguard under the comp.  This allows me to pull the PCC into my shoulder.  

Here's a pic from a video.  ignore the start position.  This club makes PCC start stock touching belt, weak hand on gun, strong hand at side.

Untitled.jpg

That's called the "Manny Start"  He hates PCC and tries to slow them down...

I have a hand stop, it’s positioned about three quarters of the way down the hand guard. I use my off hand trigger finger in front and snug the but stock into my shoulder I’m not fast but I am accurate I’m old so............accuracy is all I have.