Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GSG 1911 22 A Good Match

AzShooter

A few weeks ago I was talking to my son about a new gun.  He saw a GSG 1911 and was quite pleased with it.  He told me that it was a copy of the Government Model and felt and looked like it.  I read all the reviews on the internet and all seemed positive so I decided to check it out for myself.

At my local LGS I found one in stock.  Looking at it, it felt nice in my hands but the trigger was a bit heavy for me.  It was 5 pounds and very crisp.  I figured that it would smooth out after 1000 rounds and it did.  I also ordered a Wilson spring for it that boasts bringing the trigger pull down to 3.5 pounds.  That's just about what I like in my 1911s.

Shooting it I fired 300 rounds of CCI Patriot ammo along with 500 rounds of CCI Blazer and was very impressed with the reliability.  This gun, to me, is a keeper.

I told my son I bought it.  He was a little surprised so I told him to relax, he would  be inheriting it to from me anyway. In the meantime I plan on firing it a lot and possibly added a number of available upgrades.  There are no end because it is 80% compatible with a standard 1911.   I already added + 2 base pads and ordered +4 followers to increase magazine capacity to 16 rounds.  They also make +3 followers.  That's the most I'm going to upgrade it for now.  Right!!!

IMG_20190728_153247 (1).jpg

Edited by AzShooter
better picture

Next upgrade, I found some + 4 followers and some + 2 base pads to increase my magazine capacity to 16 rounds. Who needs a 16 round mag for a .22? I sure hope I don't miss that much but it's great fun during practice.

I may need new springs for the magazines so I ordered an extra set of those as well.

I placed an order for a set of Bomar (copy) sights for the gun. I hate chasing the target with the plastic sights that come with it even though they gave me 4 extra front sights to adjust elevation. It's easier with adjustables and I didn't have confidence in the plastic sights.

Since the gun is pretty much Colt compliant I even found a mount for my Vortex Viper if I decide to go that route.

I'm having a lot of fun with this gun. If you want a cheap gun to practice with go for it, you won't be disappointed. I already have 3 Ruger Marks but this is quickly becoming my go-to for my shooting bag.gun4.gif

4 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

TeedOff, I sure like that web site now but it's costing me a lot of money. This gun just screams to be upgraded.  Fun to shoot stock but there is so much more I can do with it.

Yeah, it's a 1911! I think my brother has about $1k in his. We call them project guns. "A project gun is one you keep sticking money into but don't care."

• 2 weeks later...

I've now fired about 2500 rounds and have d had very few malfunctions, mostly shooting Blazers.

I replaced the stock sights with a set of adjustable ones from CW Accessories.  Unfortunately the front sight that came with the kit is too high.  I ordered a new front sight from Dawson Precision today that replaces the .300 with a .240 .100 front to get the adjustment back down.  I was almost tapped out on adjustment the way it came.

An unfortunate problem, after firing about 2000 rounds I lost the capability of my grip safety working.  Some people like to pin the safety so that they can have a looser grip but I like having all safeties working the way they are suppose to.

This confused me for a while.  I kept taking out the sear spring trying to get the safety to work.  Today I looked at the rear of the trigger and found that a small section where the grip safety is suppose to hit, was missing.  That explains that problem..Tomorrow I'll call ATI and ask for a replacement.  They have been good about supporting their products.  If they don't have  one I've already found a replacement on line.