Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR 300 AAC help

Joe4d

I am not an AR guy other than 22 years Army toting and cleaning one. Butttt can build 1911's so figured how hard can it be.
Bought a complete with bolt, assembled top end 16" from Radical arms. 1-8 twist.  Has a free float hand-guard,  carbine length gas. No sights. Primary Arms 1X6 with the 300 AAC BDC illuminated retical , (joke BTW, not even close)  My lower was an Anderson with the set screw I could use to tighten lower to upper play. Decent trigger.
Lst time shooting I took my 22 mag out just to prove it wasnt me, and same 1/2" groups.
Anyway this 300 shoots like doo doo, from a bipod and sandbag rear, getting 4-6" groups. It runs everything, but shoots like a Mini-14 which I dumped cause it was so innacurate. While I am shooting service matches with it, gun is meant to be a ranch rifle,  which means if I cant nail a coyote at 100 yards its a boat paddle to me.
Did a 123-125 gr day,, multi brand. The Fiochi SST's shot best but nothing to write home about.
150's seemed best all around but still about 4"
possible the 200's may group best but the rainbow trajectory wouldnt be any good for home use. 
Reading all kinds of reviews on other barrels, seems every one in the world except me gets MOA,,, ( umm ok grain of salt on most I assume) any suggestions on what I could do with this gun ? Or things I should look for ?
Other option would be replace the barrel,  although hate to pour good money after bad if that wont help.
Other option would be replace the entire topend,
Kinda like to stay 300.

Edited by Joe4d

I would start with a replacement barrel. I have 3 different Blackouts and they all shoot supersonic ammo pretty well with about anything. Subsonic ammo is more difficult to get good accuracy from, but I’ve never had any trouble out of supersonic stuff. I use the surplus 147s and whatever other .30 cal bullets I can get cheap. I loaded up some 165 softpoints for 3 gun shooting since they are steel target friendly. Didn’t work anything up, just tried a load and it’s 1.5 moa easily. The 147s stay around or slightly over 1” at 100 yards. Anything over 2” is unacceptable in my mind. My 8” Black Rain Ordinance barrel shoots really well. I’ll check to see what my 16” barrels are. I did try some of those 110 gr Barnes black tip hunting bullets and don’t think I ever got a group over an inch at 100. They shot very well, but kind of expensive. 

Edited by mscott

quick look at midway , I see most are 7-1 twist. Mine is 8-1.  I would buy a twist problem with the 200,, but Id think with the 123's it shouldnt matter. That weight would be my preference. As the FMJ's from Magtech and Fiochi are cheap and the SST's are decent and would work for home use.
Last time I cleaned, I used some JB bore paste and I could feel a rough spot right in front of the chamber. 
This barrel only has a few hundred, all factory, rounds through it. Wonder if the OEM would make it right and send me a new barrel.. 

My favorite and best shooting rifle has a CMMG 1-8 twist 16 inch barrel. I’ve hit steel out to 400 yards with that gun.  I have shot a lot of 208s out of the eight twist barrel, so don’t feel that your problem. 

Edited by mscott

Humm cut and paste from their websight. Time to reach out see what they do.

11. I'm having accuracy issues with a barrel what should I do?

Verify barrel is clean. If it is clean then one should proceed to try different types of ammunitions as manufacture quality will vary from company to company. If no changes are seen Radical does warranty accuracy issues.

They got back to me right away, swapped a few emails, they sent me a prepaid label to send it in. Said they would fix it, replace it, or send me their targets,, Good enough I guess.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 12:44 PM, mscott said:

That is one heck of a disclaimer there. Don’t guarantee a rifle barrel to be accurate… 

thanks for the help...  got it back this week and shot yesterday. Girl wants to shoot. Well at least the buck a round stuff..