Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lost shipment. What to expect.

TravisB_02

New to reloading. Ordered my 3rd case of bullets, and it never arrived. Waited 4 business days to see if it would cycle through and it never did. Went to PO to check things out and it was delivered to wrong house. Its been  2 weeks now and USPS admitted fault. But said priority is un insured. Figured I would let my supplier know at a minimum what happened so they could take any action desired. I emailed 7 days ago. Called 4 days ago. And texted (yes they have a text line) 3 days ago. Im looking for any info on what is considered typical. Do you make the claim yourself with support from the supplier or are you totally on your own? Im having a very hard time eating $200+ while being ignored. 

Thanks guys.

Update: Apparently FBook was the route. Little unsettled about the other failed attempts to contact but I literally got a reply in 5 seconds using fbook messenger. And its 10pm their time. Will be taken care of Monday. So freekin relieved. 

USPS Priority automatically insures contents of the box at $50. The shipper can pay for additional insurance up to the value of the goods. When I shipped brass in large priority box worth $180, the additional payment (on top of the $19.95 large box priority shipping fee) is only $3.50 to insure the package for $180.

Go to the USPS “Help” section of their website and file a claim. It has to be filed after 15 days but before 60 days from the day it was mailed. Make sure you ask the seller for receipts as proof. If I was the seller, I would refund you and then I’ll be the one filing a claim with the post office.

Can't tell from the picture, but my orders from RMR come shipped with a lot more tape to secure the package.  Some of the damage may be on the supplier for poor package prep.

Can't tell from the picture, but my orders from RMR come shipped with a lot more tape to secure the package.  Some of the damage may be on the supplier for poor package prep.

Nope it was dropped. You could see many of the bullets were smashed flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Frank705 said:

Nope it was dropped. You could see many of the bullets were smashed flat.

That's some serious droppage to flatten bullets. 

Most of my bullets get shipped with so much tape around the box, that even if they were dropped they box wouldn't explode.

Gallant is sending a new case. 

Wow thats some serious damage^

Heres the whole s**t show. 

I made sure my wife would be home to help the mail lady unload the 65lb box. Wife sees the mail lady and says "wheres the heavy box"? Mail lady said she put it on her co workers truck to drop off later that day since she couldnt lift it. Nothing ever came. Wife sees that exact co worker the next day, again. "Wheres the heavy box"? Dude said he delivered it and my wife called him out since the exact time he scanned it for delivered she was in the garage loading up for camping. 

I went to PO and they gave me a full print out of google maps showing where it was scanned and delivered. Wrong house! The guy who recieved it on his porch come to find out was on vacation so it was probably stolen. 

Im just so happy Gallant Bullets is helping me I really didnt wanto switch.  

For packaging their 3,000rnd cases they use a thick plastic bag zip tied closed inside a heavy Gallant box inside the priority box. 

I had a package from Everglades at Christmas that was completely destroyed. Same story. They said it was delivered. Never was. Had to go the post office 3 times to get it resolved. It’s like they are pissed we are taking advantage of their “if it fits it ships” flat rate boxes. It you don’t like us using these types of boxes, change your policy, but stop ruining our s#!t!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a funny story.  I ordered 1000 pieces of Federal brass from a dealer several years ago.  The dealer somehow misspelled my street name on the shipping label, which was sent by FedEx.  I received an email notification that it had been delivered but I didn't get it so I went online to research it and see it was delivered to the wrong address.  And, it was the address of a major bank in downtown Boston.  Not sure how that went over when someone opened up the package!  The dealer took full responsibility for the error and sent out a new shipment.  I wonder what they did with the brass at the bank???????? lol.

Often it depends how the shipper packs the box. The picture is a case of crappy packing!! I buy only from Precision Delta and Acme.

Both pack their goods very, very good. Acme puts everything in plastic baggies and these into a wooden box which fits perfectly into the USPS Priority flatrate boxes.

PD has their bullets in a thick plastic bag, and this fit very snuggly into a flat, heavy duty cardboard box, and these flat boxes are then fit into a properly

sized HD card board box. Never had an issue with either one.

Afer the email, call and text with notes on date/times and no response I would have simply filed non receipt of good claim with my credit card company. Mine, and I assume most have a non reciept of goods online guarantee. Let them worry about it. Why you pay them interest. Not on me to be a detective and track stuff down.

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Afer the email, call and text with notes on date/times and no response I would have simply filed non receipt of good claim with my credit card company. Mine, and I assume most have a non reciept of goods online guarantee. Let them worry about it. Why you pay them interest. Not on me to be a detective and track stuff down.

+1. If the order you made with your credit card is not completed... dispute the charge with your CC company. That will get the shipping company involved quickly. You normally have 60 days to dispute a CC charge. If your order wound up "sucking" why not do it. The CC company has more muscle in this than you do. They normally get results... quickly.

This is why you always use a credit card. If so the responsibility is on the seller, not you. No extra insurance needed etc. This includes not requiring a signature on delivery and just leaving it, yet not being there as you expect.

I had this happen to a new shotgun (ie not yet FFL transferred to me) that was shipped USPS and they lost it with no extra insurance. I had nothing to lose.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

This is why you always use a credit card. If so the responsibility is on the seller, not you. No extra insurance needed etc. This includes not requiring a signature on delivery and just leaving it, yet not being there as you expect.

I had this happen to a new shotgun (ie not yet FFL transferred to me) that was shipped USPS and they lost it with no extra insurance. I had nothing to lose.

As for PD. A while back they redesigned their boxes to basically fit perfectly in USPS flat rate shipping boxes (and especially with two in a box). Before this the boxes the bullets came in tended to split during transit, IME. Never has since the new packaging. Smart move on their part.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Having just retired from the PO, I'll tell you what happens with these shipments of bullets. The USPS figuratively shot themselves in the foot when they came up with the Priority flate rate boxes. Bullet makers were the biggest beneficiaries of this new rate. They can ship 70lbs of bullets nationwide for a price of $12-$15. But at the same time postal employers cringe at it. Moving 70lb boxes through the ssystem is heavy work for most, and usually the reason for the delays. Some PO"s will not even deliver them to your house, but instead leaves a note to come pick them up at the local PO. 

I always had them shipped to my place of work for that very reason. And they did not always arrive in good condition. I had one shipment come in broken, and there were red coated bullets rolling all around the floor at the PO. These were caused by both poor handling on the PO's part, and bad packaging by the supplier. The best packinging was when the shipper used plenty of tape all around the box, and then ran plastic pallet wrap all around the box. This would keep everything in place even if dropped.

And like stated, Priority is insured automatically for $50. And most bullet suppliers will cover them for full cost, or simply replace a damaged/lost package. And though the PO knew they misdelivered your original package, you can be sure the unintended recipient wasn't going to pick up that 70lb package and bring it into their home. And the mail carrier would be slow/hesistant to retrieve that 70lb box. Keep up the pressure on your local PO. Threaten to call the local district office about it. Or better yet, threatened to call the Postal Inspector about them misdelivering "firearm related" supplies. Though even that will not always get things moving.

42 minutes ago, Catmanduex said:

I avoid the problem by ordering only 1000 at a time.  Why try to kill my mail girl?

Only time I buy 1000 bullets at a time is if I’m trying something new. Other than that you are spending way more than you need to for bullets

I usually order 3-6000 at a time, but first thing I did was make friends with the  mailman. A friendly chat or two and a small token of my appreciation at Christmas. Luckily he's a shooter too, so we catch up from time to time . His backup is a really small lady who I let know that if it's too heavy, leave it at the PO and let me know and i'll come pick it up. She actually does deliver them, she just leaves it in the carrier box they have on my porch and I return it to her the next day. They've even helped me track down missing packages (not bullets, that's never happened) by routing me to the right people who 'give a s#!t' avoiding the people who don't.

My mail lady doesn’t deliver boxes with bullets in them, no notice or anything. The only way I know is if I track the package and it has some ridiculous excuse listed as the reason it wasn’t delivered. I then have to go to the PO and pick them up. I assume she doesn’t want to or can’t lift the 70lb boxes.

ive started having the bullets delivered to my business. Again a small mail lady. But she at least has someone help her load it into her mail van, and I get them out of the van and take them inside for her. 

2 hours ago, Rich406 said:

I assume she doesn’t want to or can’t lift the 70lb boxes.

Then she shouldn't have the job! You're required to be able to lift 70lbs in prder to get the job.Call the main office and complain! Most offices will have someone that'll take out the larger/heavier packages. You shouldn't have to make a trip to the PO.

I would also like to suggest that you avoid shipping during the holiday season...just too many packages in the system.  And as suggested earlier always pay with credit card so that you can dispute / stop payment if there are any problems.