Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My venture into Rimfire Rifle Iron Sight

UFO

1 hour ago, BoMc said:

Well how did the new limited rifle do at the shoot Sunday? I really like your stock reshape and the other components you have installed. Turned out very nice!

Well, the gun sure looks better than I shot. Shot a 94, was pushing a little harder than I should have. Carried 2 or 3 misses in that score. I was also shooting my RFRO with the upper that is going in my wife's rifle. Was able to throw down a personal best on Showdown with a 6.88 .

Edited by UFO

7 hours ago, Frozen said:

Where you able to shave enough time for GM classification? My goal is to be Gm in rfri one day emoji15.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I was just trying to shoot faster than my abilities. Virtually every stage, I had a couple of runs that were more than good enough to move me up, but I always had to carry a run that put me over. Next time, I see no reason to not be in the high 70's soon. 

On 8/30/2019 at 11:59 PM, UFO said:

Very happy with the set up on this rifle. I'll be shooting it on Sunday, and pretty confident I'll be able to improve the .32 sec I need to make GM. Tomorrow, I'll be putting some rounds down range to make sure it's still sighted in, and to make sure it's going to run. The last of the upgrades was to replace the stock Ruger bolt with something a little better. In my searches, I discovered JWH Custom https://www.jwhcustom.com/product/ruger-10-22-upgrade-the-competitor-cnc-precision-upgrade-bolt-by-jwh-custom/ . There bolt has a fully contained firing pin, and a rounded rear to help with a smoother reset. The firing pin looks to be extended from factory and should get better hits. 

Also, included a picture of my mags I customized with a little RIT Dye, and Cen Cal Cerakote base pads.

Bolt Compare.jpg

Bolt Top.jpg

Mags.jpg

Who makes these base pads?  I really like them.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm really happy with the shape and feel of the rifle. Now it's time to make it look good. Here is the first coat of tinted clear done by Cen Cal Cerakote. After I shoot this weekend, it goes back for more clear and color. Going for a blood red and black theme.....

IMG_20190919_205100.jpg

Edited by UFO

• 2 weeks later...

Check out www.clearimage-solutions.com.  They have a very interesting front sight for a rfri.  I have one installed on a tac sol barrel - had to have a friend of mine mill a custom mount for it as they are made to mount on a rail.  Sorry I can not provide photos as I am a bit computer challenged.  Not cheap, but pretty cool.

On 10/5/2019 at 4:06 AM, Flageo said:

Check out www.clearimage-solutions.com.  They have a very interesting front sight for a rfri.  I have one installed on a tac sol barrel - had to have a friend of mine mill a custom mount for it as they are made to mount on a rail.  Sorry I can not provide photos as I am a bit computer challenged.  Not cheap, but pretty cool.

I have seen those. You have to be careful which version you install. If you use the one with a complete lens, it is considered an optic and puts you into open. You have to use the half glass version to be iron sight legal.

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent announcement of the new SCSA division times. Had to go to work on my RFRI, so when the new times hit, I'll still be at 100%. I needed to drop 5.11 sec to be right at 100%. Was able to get just over half way. Should have had a better 5 to Go, but forgot to put on my Hunters HD Gold prescription glasses and was struggling to see the front sight.

Screenshot_20191019-163649.jpg

1 hour ago, Frozen said:

Yea I made GM at my Alaska state match , however with the new times coming out I would be back to master emoji17.pngso I will start hitting it hard with more practice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, I put the Alaska State Steel match on my list for next year.

• 6 months later...

Haven't updated in a while. Getting the stock finished up. The mount for the rear sight will be located to the front of the carrier to tighten up the sights. The barrel is a new TacSol Lightweight Twisted, being modified to hold the .500 tall front sight. Should be together soon and back out on the range. Thanks to Kurt Grimes for all the custom work done!

20200429_134352_resized[1].jpg