Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My venture into Rimfire Rifle Iron Sight

UFO

At last year’s Area 2 Steel Challenge Championship, I was fortunate enough to win a Ruger 10/22 Rifle out of the prize bag. Now, having already built a very good Rimfire Rifle - Open, I decided to try my hand at Rimfire Rifle – Iron. First on the list of parts was a Tactical Solutions barrel with iron sights, second, an Allchin Comp, and finally a stock. This is where I hit a dead end. It appears that the list (For Me) of custom style stocks for iron sight rifles is almost non-existent. So, taking a lead from my good friend, Kurt Grimes, I bought an Altamont stock, a good sander, and a supply of different grits of sandpaper and went to work making a lightweight stock for an iron sight rifle. I shaved down the cheek rest over an inch, and cut the thickness of the stock in half. I was finally able to get a comfortable cheek rest that got me, on the much lower than a dot, iron sights.

So, with this newly built gun, I was off to my first match. I quickly learned what feels good at home doesn’t necessarily work at the range. I struggled keeping the sights lined up without canting the gun a little. Solution, more material off the sides to get my eyes closer to the center of the gun. Next match was better, but still struggled some with sight alignment. Sights on a Tacsol barrel sit very low.  Was able to make B class.

While at the World Speed Shooting Championships, I caught a video of the overall winner’s rifle he used, and noticed a ghost ring sight set up. I had thought about that type of sight, but never really followed through. But, as luck would have it, I pulled an XS Sights gift certificate off the prize table and ordered one as soon as I got home. The front sight that comes with it, is designed for the OE pencil steel barrel. So, after some research, I discovered that a .500 tall 22/45 front sight from Dawson Precision was just the ticket. The XS sight comes with a ghost ring sight that is .191 inside diameter. After sighting in the rifle (very easy, BTW) I was off to my next match.

At my match, the first thing I noticed was, with the sights being taller it made them very easy to pick up and align. The down side, the .191 ring completely circled around the stop plate on Speed Option. I needed something smaller to help tighten up the shots. I was still able to bump myself to A class.

On XS Sights website, I was able to find a .150 id ring and ordered it. While waiting for it to arrive, I started to work on an extended rear pad to be able to get the gun higher. If you’ve seen my competition rifles, I have an extension on every one of them. Something from my motorcycle riding days. You always want to keep your head level to the horizon. Something about your brain processes visual input better. Anyway, so off I go to my next match. While the extended rear stock got the gun up to help keep my head level, the product I used to make the rear plate was slick, and moved around on my shoulder when wearing my Techwear jersey. I’ll need to fix that before my next match. Regardless, I was still able to bump up to M class and am only 6.6 sec away from GM.

I've got some more sanding to do on the stock. I'm going to take some more material off the cheek rest, and off the sides of the gun to help get the weight down more.

While I don’t consider myself a natural shooter, I’ve always looked at things from a mechanical viewpoint and building this rifle has been a fun project in mechanics. I’ve posted pictures of the rifle at its current progression, and will add as I move forward. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get my third GM ranking in Steel Challenge soon.

To be continued. . . . .

IMG_20190708_195802781.jpg

IMG_20190708_200124250.jpg

IMG_20190708_195825052.jpg

IMG_20190708_195811798.jpg

I guess I never really thought about cheek riser/comb on custom stocks all being fit for optics.  I plan to get into irons soon as well and this is very good info.  Maybe why Kolby Pavlock likes the heavier inferno stock.  Really great info.  Thanks for posting and good luck getting it perfect!

Great post. My brother and I are trying ghost sites for informal fast shooting with irons. Worth the effort to try it out. And yeah, getting a cheek weld with any low riding sight is problematic. Even more so for those of us with no sanding skills. I see you showed the right of the stock. Are you LH or RH?

I'm right handed. Will post pictures of the left side of the stock when I get a chance. I have no sanding skills either. I just started slow and worked my way little at a time, constantly trying it out.

Edited by UFO

On 7/26/2019 at 2:41 PM, Cfish said:

Did you try the taller front sight with the stock TS rear?

No, the issue was not with the front sight, it was getting low enough to see the rear sight. That's why the ghost ring helped so much, it is a lot taller than the iron sights mounted to the TacSol barrel. Then I just had to get a tall enough front sight to work with it.

Edited by UFO

As requested, here's the left side after some additional sanding. And the reshaped and stippled rear stock extension. Going to be awhile before I get out to test it, currently getting ready for the Area 2 Steel Challenge Championship where I'll be shooting PCCO, RFPO, and RFRO.

IMG_20190728_121323660.jpg

IMG_20190728_121756.jpg

I'm headed down this road now but with a factory 10-22 barrel. I have a XS Sights rear ghost ring on the way but need a recommendation for front fiber optic sight height and brands and what would work best a with the factory barrel.

3 hours ago, BoMc said:

I'm headed down this road now but with a factory 10-22 barrel. I have a XS Sights rear ghost ring on the way but need a recommendation for front fiber optic sight height and brands and what would work best a with the factory barrel.

Mine came with a front sight. If your using the standard pencil steel barrel, you should be good.

3 hours ago, UFO said:

Mine came with a front sight. If your using the standard pencil steel barrel, you should be good.

Thanks for the reply. I only purchased the rear ghost ring, not the front sight. I want a fiber optic front that's the same height as the front one you have that came as a set. Can you give me a measurement on the one you have top of sight to bottom of dovetail?

Edited by BoMc

23 hours ago, BoMc said:

Thanks for the reply. I only purchased the rear ghost ring, not the front sight. I want a fiber optic front that's the same height as the front one you have that came as a set. Can you give me a measurement on the one you have top of sight to bottom of dovetail?

I ordered a .500 tall Dawson for a 22/45. But, if you don't have a bull barrrel it will be too short. If thats the case, I'd go with .600 tall.

19 hours ago, UFO said:

I ordered a .500 tall Dawson for a 22/45. But, if you don't have a bull barrrel it will be too short. If thats the case, I'd go with .600 tall.

Your .600 tall is spot on. I called XS Sights and they said the RU-0001-5 set ships with a .600 tall front sight. As close to that as I can find is .570 tall x .340 wide. I'll try that first and if it won't work out I make one from an XS .600 front sight.

2 hours ago, BoMc said:

Your .600 tall is spot on. I called XS Sights and they said the RU-0001-5 set ships with a .600 tall front sight. As close to that as I can find is .570 tall x .340 wide. I'll try that first and if it won't work out I make one from an XS .600 front sight.

Sure seems awfully wide? My .500 is only .100 wide.  

On 8/5/2019 at 5:55 PM, UFO said:

Sure seems awfully wide? My .500 is only .100 wide.  

Apples and oranges, front sight for the Ruger factory standard barrel (3/8 dovetail x .340 wide at base).

What I ended up doing, Williams dovetail riser block .250 wide x .250 tall, tried a Williams .375 tall on top of that (total was .625) just a little short. Will try a .420 next and have a .450 if that doesn't work. Wanted to try the ghost ring system before buying a ultralight barrel dedicated to limited. If it all works out I'll end up with a setup similar to yours.

Edited by BoMc

So, at the last minute, I decided to shoot it at the Area 2 Steel Challenge Championship. The latest changes certainly made a difference. I was able to pull out a 4th in RFRI with some major top guns in attendance. I also took 6.28 sec off my classified time, personal bests in 6 of 8 stages, leaving me with only .32 sec left to make GM. I have a little more stock work to do to get a better sight picture, but the ghost ring set up worked great. I hope to have it dialed in soon and take it to next years worlds, to battle for the senior title.

So, at the last minute, I decided to shoot it at the Area 2 Steel Challenge Championship. The latest changes certainly made a difference. I was able to pull out a 4th in RFRI with some major top guns in attendance. I also took 6.28 sec off my classified time, personal bests in 6 of 8 stages, leaving me with only .32 sec left to make GM. I have a little more stock work to do to get a better sight picture, but the ghost ring set up worked great. I hope to have it dialed in soon and take it to next years worlds, to battle for the senior title.

Outstanding job dude!! A lot of heat there ,, Steve from Georgia is a big-time shooter in Rimfire rifle !! You should be very proud of your results!!!! It’s on my list to shoot area 2 next year ,, will it be at the same range? It’s a trip for me , I am from the great white north

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Frozen said:

Outstanding job dude!! A lot of heat there ,, Steve from Georgia is a big-time shooter in Rimfire rifle !! You should be very proud of your results!!!! It’s on my list to shoot area 2 next year ,, will it be at the same range? It’s a trip for me , I am from the great white north

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Know Steve well, great guy to be around. We had a shooter from Alaska this year. Chances are, it will be there next year around the same time.

*UPDATE* 

Did a little more sanding on the stock. Took more material off the cheek pad. Made it follow the angle of the underside. Also took more material off the sides to get it a little more narrow, but also to get it where it will look better when it gets cleared.

The stock when new was listed at 2lbs on Altamonts site. Last time on the scale, it came in at 1lb 8.8oz.

Here's what it looked like before I got to it with a sander.....

AltamontBarracuda.jpg.f1c13db4f7d11226409b748531469e0e.jpg

IMG_20190828_174043.jpg

IMG_20190828_173917686.jpg

IMG_20190828_173928787.jpg

Edited by UFO

Very happy with the set up on this rifle. I'll be shooting it on Sunday, and pretty confident I'll be able to improve the .32 sec I need to make GM. Tomorrow, I'll be putting some rounds down range to make sure it's still sighted in, and to make sure it's going to run. The last of the upgrades was to replace the stock Ruger bolt with something a little better. In my searches, I discovered JWH Custom https://www.jwhcustom.com/product/ruger-10-22-upgrade-the-competitor-cnc-precision-upgrade-bolt-by-jwh-custom/ . There bolt has a fully contained firing pin, and a rounded rear to help with a smoother reset. The firing pin looks to be extended from factory and should get better hits. 

Also, included a picture of my mags I customized with a little RIT Dye, and Cen Cal Cerakote base pads.

Bolt Compare.jpg

Bolt Top.jpg

Mags.jpg