Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GET YOUR MONEY TOGETHER!!! (New Dillon XL750)

When I first got my 650 last year, I was not a fan of the primer system. I was used to a slider system, like the 750 apparently has, on my older RCBS progressive press. But once I got it dialed in and added the ebay primer stop switch, I've grown to really like it because it works correctly pretty much 100% of the time. The RCBS was more fussy and you had to keep an eye on it. I almost never have any primers go down the ski jump.

I don't have any issues with jerky indexing, either. Very rare to find any powder on the shell plate, even when using powders that come up pretty high in the cases. Maybe they dialed some of that out on the presses over time? Mine was fresh from the factory just over a year ago now.

Hopefully the 750 slider system will be as reliable as the 650 system is. Time will tell. But I sure won't be getting rid of my 650 for any of the changes I've seen so far.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, jejb said:

Hopefully the 750 slider system will be as reliable as the 650 system is. Time will tell. But I sure won't be getting rid of my 650 for any of the changes I've seen so far.

It's not obvious to me that anybody with a well-running 650 would get much out of moving to a 750. If you have a 650 and want to upgrade go 1050/1100.

40 minutes ago, ddc said:

It's not obvious to me that anybody with a well-running 650 would get much out of moving to a 750. If you have a 650 and want to upgrade go 1050/1100.

That would be a more prudent idea 😝.

While it is aggravating to recently buy a 650 and have it replaced shortly thereafter, it appears that if you load only pistol or rifle calibers the 650 will load, the only hit you take is if it knocks down the value of your 650. However, to some the 650 primer system makes it more desirable.

550 vs 650 primer feed both have their detractors and fans. Having same primer feeds for the 550 and the 650 will reduce Dillon's cost.

Per Dillon tech support the 750 indexing roller and indexing block with the spring are not backward compatible. IMHO these changes can be closely duplicated with third party parts.

Edited by CenTX
typo

I have been using my XL650 since 2008 and have over 500K of ammo loaded on it with very minimal issues. If you are a recent XL650 purchaser who somehow feels like they now have an inferior machine, don't worry about it. The XL650 is awesome and will serve you well. I also highly doubt that there will be a marked drop in value for the 650's in the resale market.  

Edited by CHA-LEE

43 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

I have been using my XL650 since 2008 and have over 500K of ammo loaded on it with very minimal issues. If you are a recent XL650 purchaser who somehow feels like they now have an inferior machine, don't worry about it. The XL650 is awesome and will serve you well. I also highly doubt that there will be a marked drop in value for the 650's in the resale market.  

I’ve had mine longer than that ,and I don’t plan to get rid of it anytime soon. 

Anyone see if this has lifetime warranty. I noticed on 650 page they have a big no BS lifetime warranty. The 1050 says 1 year the 750 says nothing

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, m700 said:

Anyone see if this has lifetime warranty. I noticed on 650 page they have a big no BS lifetime warranty. The 1050 says 1 year the 750 says nothing

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I received the email earlier today and it has the “No BS lifetime warranty” on top of the picture of the XL750.

Not impressed by the promo video... I'll keep my 650's. The "linear"  primer feed looks just like the one on the 550 - which I've had tons of problems with in the past. The rotary primer feed on the 650 is much more reliable (as long as you keep it clean). It will be interesting to see what other improvements we see when it starts hitting the streets. 

I want to get a 2nd press and now I don’t know if I should get the xl750 or save for the 1100. It’s a significant difference in price. I currently have a 650 and it’s been ok but sometimes can be finicky. 

I'm probably one of the unlucky ones, but as far as I'm concerned the 650 primer system sucks. I end up with more flipped primers and jammed primers that don't drop out and keep going around to gum up the works. Small primers in particular, CCI especially.

I've chamfered the primer disk holes, run it dry, run it lubricated, etc., etc. I have multiple full primer setups. My SDB never fails me but the XL650 sometimes is a PITA. I'm not getting rid of it, as I generally love the machine but in my case the primer system is the Achille's heel. I'd welcome an XL750 "just in case" it would be better.

If Dillon sends me a core I'll update and report back ...

2 minutes ago, rodell said:

I'm probably one of the unlucky ones, but as far as I'm concerned the 650 primer system sucks. I end up with more flipped primers and jammed primers that don't drop out and keep going around to gum up the works. Small primers in particular, CCI especially.

I've chamfered the primer disk holes, run it dry, run it lubricated, etc., etc. I have multiple full primer setups. My SDB never fails me but the XL650 sometimes is a PITA. I'm not getting rid of it, as I generally love the machine but in my case the primer system is the Achille's heel. I'd welcome an XL750 "just in case" it would be better.

Odd. I have never had a flipped primer and any that don’t seat fall down the ramp every time.

You should call Dillon. I would.

47 minutes ago, rodell said:

I'm probably one of the unlucky ones, but as far as I'm concerned the 650 primer system sucks. 

My 650 was also plagued with this problem. I sold my 650 because of it. My OCD personality couldn’t handle it. I loved the machine though, but I just couldn’t handle 1 upside primer every 1-200 rounds. It really made me mental. 

Interesting to hear of the negative feelings towards the 650 priming system. 

I've been running mine since around 2013 hand have a sideways primer every 1000 or so rounds so not a big deal for me and I can be OCD also.

I've had maybe 5 jams and am closing in on 100k rounds. Again, not an issue (for me anyway).

I'm not a fan of the fact that the primer system keeps feeding regardless of whether or not a primer gets inserted but I've just chalked it up to be one of the quirks of the machine.

10 hours ago, rodell said:

Dillion will send you a complete new priming system.. Your issue is rare.. 

17 hours ago, EEH said:

I’ve had mine longer than that ,and I don’t plan to get rid of it anytime soon. 

I got my 650 back in 1995 and have been running it hard ever since, loaded countless amounts of ammo on it.  I had a refurbed by Dillon  a whike back and it is still going strong.  I really like the rotary priming system, the one on my 550 is always a PITA.   I guess I can see why Dillon made this change (simplicity and less customer issues) but I think it is step backwards.

11 hours ago, rodell said:

Have you changed it at all from stock?

I was having issues with the 650 primer system and pining for the simplicity of my old 550. But, I had installed the e-Bay low mass index ball and low power spring which are advertised as spilling less powder.  When I replaced them with the stock spring and heavier ball bearing my priming issues went away.  The low powered index ball didn't have enough force to reliably index the shell plate exactly under the primer ram and the lifting primer would occasionally hit the edge of the plate and flip sideways.  Everything is working well now with Winchester SPP.

I'm still in the market for a Super 1050 for brass processing and a 550 for oddball low volume stuff.

2 hours ago, belus said:

Have you changed it at all from stock?

All stock at this point. I've changed the whole primer assembly, I've changed parts in the primer assembly, I've adjusted and whatever. Aligned the shell plate. Press is solidly mounted. Unfortunately, I have many, many thousands of CCI primers and I would really like to use them. Maybe I have a batch that's slightly out of round or something.

I didn't mean to threadcrap on the XL750, it just came up because of the change in the primer mechanism, and I am far from a hater. It is just my particular issue. 

20 hours ago, rodell said:

I had some issues on my 650 with this when I first got it. Called Dillon about it and they walked me through some adjustments. The one that fixed it was the little spring loaded finger that holds the case in the primer station. It was pushing too hard against the case and not letting the case "find" its center. There is an allen screw adjustment for it. Needs a little gap.

It's been almost flawless since getting that dialed.

6 hours ago, rodell said:

Unfortunately, I have many, many thousands of CCI primers and I would really like to use them. Maybe I have a batch that's slightly out of round or something.

Man, that’s a weird press. I fed my 650 at least 40k CCI primers before upgrading to a 1050. It loved CCI the most. Federal were good, winchesters always got fussy in the vibraprime and when getting seated in tight pockets... but CCIs were fantastic.

It never ever flipped a primer. I’d have maybe 1 per 1,000rd loading session which I knew had gone down the vibraprime chute backwards, but the press fed them as they were presented to it.

I believe I never crushed a primer I didn’t try to stuff into a crimped primer pocket. The priming system was flawless from stock through all tinkering/upgrades, and the rest of the press got damn good after those upgrades.

Edited by MemphisMechanic