Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Dave_H

Mec Gar Magazines in 1911s

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has used Mec Gar magazines in their 1911 in competition? Their price seems to good to be true but I can't find anyone I know, nor any forum posts about people using them in competition.

I have used them a pretty good amount. They’re my favorite magazine for single stack. I went with the mags with the anti friction coating and had great luck. When I saw the price tag on them I was also skeptical but they proved to be 100% solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine have the plastic followers that work great clean, but have to clean them every other stage if it's in the sand.  OTW  they work great in regular dirt and rocks.

Zero issues with the one's I've used.  I bought 10 of them when Greg Cote had them on sale for $15.  I should have bought more. 😏

I believe these 1911 mags may be the best on the market right now. We are doing more testing.

Does anyone know if the Dawson basepads fit these mags out the box or will modifications be needed?

1 hour ago, Hawk21 said:

Does anyone know if the Dawson basepads fit these mags out the box or will modifications be needed?

I'd also like to know if anyone has any info? Also, thanks for the info about the mags I think I'll go with them and spend the savings on some bling for my trojan

So I emailed Speedshooter.com (who I bought my base pads from), and also Dawson Precision, and both of them have no idea if their magazines will fit Mec Gar mags. I have emailed Mec Gar as well but have not received a reply.

Posted (edited)

Mec Gar is the manufacturer for a whole lot of factory branded pistol magazines... If the magazine says "Made in Italy", you can be pretty sure that Mec Gar was the manufacturer. They know what they're doing...

I've got about 25 or so Mec-Gar 1911 45ACP 8 rnd mags; they're solid. Bought a bunch for like $12 each when my LGS had them mismarked from the regular price of $18 :D. I've got well over 100 Mec-Gar manufactured pistol magazines for various brands / models of pistols.

Edited by SPL15

If you are running an STI in 9mm, the Mec Gar's do not work - I know from experience.  It's also stated on their web site.

My trojan is in .45 but a guy I shoot with is going to lend me some so I'll report my findings on here.

5 hours ago, Dave_H said:

My trojan is in .45 but a guy I shoot with is going to lend me some so I'll report my findings on here.

You won't have any problems with them.

I have a MecGar for my 45 that's 22 years old and still works perfectly.