Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are there hi-cap mags for 9mm single stack?

redwoods

Wondering if there are mags or mag extensions for single stack 9mm mags to get to 15.  Thanks.

A friend wants to shoot limited instead of single stack at an action pistol match I run. I allow 15 rounds for limited. see below if you have questions.

I run action pistol matches at my local gun club. There are not enough experienced shooters or props or bays to run USPSA matches yet. 

I make up the divisions and have a 15 round limit for production and limited guns. This is to allow someone with 2 mags to compete and also to force reloads since we don't have high round counts becuase you need lots more stands and targets and large bays.

Even if there are such a mag, I'd think it might be too long to make the legal mag length in limited. A 15 round single stack mag would be 50% longer than a 10 round single stack mag. Though, since your matches aren't really USPSA matches, it would'nt be breaking any rules. But it would sure be long.

The basic problem is the tapered case of the 9mm means they want to stack in a banana-shape as opposed to the shape of a 1911 magazine.  That limits how many you can single-stack before the top round in the stack is pointing down away from the feed ramp.

16 hours ago, shred said:

The basic problem is the tapered case of the 9mm means they want to stack in a banana-shape as opposed to the shape of a 1911 magazine.  That limits how many you can single-stack before the top round in the stack is pointing down away from the feed ramp.

This ^^^^^.  It is problem enough with new 10 round 9mm mags until you break the spring in.  Also, they have to have way more spring tension than 40 or 45 mags, which makes stripping a mag difficult.