Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Demus319

Revolver Powder?

5 hours ago, Makicjf said:

Just started working up a new 38 SC load with 158 grain RN coated bullets from Brazos Precision.  I'm roll crimping into the lube groove for an OAL of 1.190.  2.8 of TG gave me five shots from an Uberti 4 3/4 inch bbl at 828 with an sd in single digits.  The cases were pretty clean, as well.  Very little smoke.  I've loaded 6 at 2.6 of TG but ran out of light.  I'm hoping to keep the SD but get closer to 800-810 fps.  I've loaned out my 4 inch 627, and my new (to me) 5 inch 627 PC won't be in until Monday, so I won't be loading a ton until the new blaster arrives.   

TG is looking promising, though.  Bullseye gave me good numbers, but was very smoky with my hand cast bullets and Lee Liquid Alox.

Jason

Jason, I believe that the smoke you were seeing is coming from the Alox and any other wax lube you may have been using. Switch to powdercoated and most of that smoke will go away. With the right powders for PC, you can shake and bake your own cast bullets almost as easy as using the tumble lube and you won't have the build up of wax in your seating die.

N320.

I used to get powder residue buildup under the extractor using other powders.

Screwed me up at a match early last year.

I switched to N320 soon afterwards.

As a test, I didn't thoroughly clean my 929 for just under 2,000 rounds.

Just cleaned around the front sight and cylinder exterior.

Ran like a champ and I probably could've gone another thousand rounds without an issue.

SJC

11 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

Okay, it wasn't "overwhelming." Guess I was surprised it was even on there. Thanks for keeping me honest.

image.thumb.png.a37c03da0123304800b604e912ccb073.png

Oh I was just curious to see the survey, I must have missed it when it came out. 

15 hours ago, mchapman said:

Jason, I believe that the smoke you were seeing is coming from the Alox and any other wax lube you may have been using. Switch to powdercoated and most of that smoke will go away. With the right powders for PC, you can shake and bake your own cast bullets almost as easy as using the tumble lube and you won't have the build up of wax in your seating die.

Mark,

You are correct about the alox and smoke. I tried the Hi-tek , but lacked the patience to cycle 1000+ bullets 3 or 4 times to get a good coat. Between cooling, tumbling and drying, I've got 2-3 hours in rounds I still have to size. Alox is fast, but smokey.  I have only been casting for 45, as of late.

I've not tried powder coating, is it quicker than Hi-Tek?

On the powder, I think the evening was skewing my Chrono:. 2.6 of TG was a consistent 665 fps .  3 was a beautiful ICORE load at 765 with a tight ES of 10.(122 PF).  I loaded 3.2, but ran out of light.

For my 929s.

I am using TG and jacketed 147 RN or plated 165 RN.  I could not get decent accuracy with Clays in 9x19.

I clean under the ejector star maybe every couple thousand rounds or so.  Maybe pull the sideplate and add some lube but thats about it.

For my 625s.

I use Clays under 230s and clean about the same.

On 7/27/2019 at 5:19 AM, Makicjf said:

Mark,

You are correct about the alox and smoke. I tried the Hi-tek , but lacked the patience to cycle 1000+ bullets 3 or 4 times to get a good coat. Between cooling, tumbling and drying, I've got 2-3 hours in rounds I still have to size. Alox is fast, but smokey.  I have only been casting for 45, as of late.

I've not tried powder coating, is it quicker than Hi-Tek?

On the powder, I think the evening was skewing my Chrono:. 2.6 of TG was a consistent 665 fps .  3 was a beautiful ICORE load at 765 with a tight ES of 10.(122 PF).  I loaded 3.2, but ran out of light.

To me PCing is easy and faster for me, I cast them, shake them in a plastic bottle with the powder coat powder, dump them out on a screen to separate the extra powder then dump them on a tray covered with non-stick foil, put in toaster oven for 20 min. at 400 degrees, remove cool and size, then load them up and shoot.

57 minutes ago, mchapman said:

To me PCing is easy and faster for me, I cast them, shake them in a plastic bottle with the powder coat powder, dump them out on a screen to separate the extra powder then dump them on a tray covered with non-stick foil, put in toaster oven for 20 min. at 400 degrees, remove cool and size, then load them up and shoot.

Where do you get the powder/what type of powder do you use?

Jason

39 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

Where do you get the powder/what type of powder do you use?

Jason

On the cast boolit site there is a guy by the name of Smoke that sells the powder. General price is a vout $15 a pound, but you can coat 10,000 with one pound. Another place is powder by the pound, and eastwoods. You want to get the powders that you can "shake and bake" with so you don't have to buy a spray gun. harbor freight has the powder cheaper but it is too coarse to stick and cover as well.   http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?252509-VS-Hi-Quality-Powdercoating-Powder-For-sale

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:25 PM, alecmc said:

Clays meters like poo under like 3.8 grains or so.

I've found success getting a constant 3.2 grain drop with clays using the Xtra Small powder drop bar, and using a cheap fish tank air pump ( emphasize on the cheap, cheaper the better so it vibrates more ) just taped to my powder drop. 

mXnOfZT.jpg

Hey Alec,

Is that your hardcover dryfire light switch in the background?

How cool is that!!

2 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

Hey Alec,

Is that your hardcover dryfire light switch in the background?

How cool is that!!

Just a dryfire sticker , not a light switch.

You may be on to something though. A true un-tapped market.