Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Minor loads for Stock ll

Byron320X5

Hi forum, I'm looking for a good load recipe for .40 minor in a Stock ll. Currently have Sport Pistol and SNS 180, Blue 200s that I use out of my Limited Tanfo. I'm not opposed to trying new powder or bullet weights. I have seen some info on Clay's but never used it. Is it Clay's or Universal or Clay Dot that folks use in .40 minor? Also is WST a good option as well? What are thoughts on 165gr?

Much thanks

Edited by Byron320X5

I also have a Stock II in 40. I’ve shot 40 minor for many years. I do love Clays (regular Clays) for minor, but for some reason I’m finding that Titegroup is gaining on me. I’ve always shot 40 minor in polymer guns and maybe that has something to do with it. I’m not sure what it is exactly.

All of my loads were based on 180gr bullets. I have played around with 200s but it’s not worth it in my opinion. I don’t have a real opinion on 165s.

My Clays load was 3.0gr @ 1.135

My current Titegroup load is 3.5gr @ 1.135

I do LOVE WST, but for major loads in other guns. Not for minor.

I picked up some Clay's today so it will be a couple weeks before I can go test and chrono. I was watching some of Bulm540 vids of YouTube and I'm about trying some 165gr as well. 

Forty, I've always heard the Titegroup runs hot in guns, is it different shooting minor?

Thanks again guys

I picked up some Clay's today so it will be a couple weeks before I can go test and chrono. I was watching some of Bulm540 vids of YouTube and I'm about trying some 165gr as well. 

Forty, I've always heard the Titegroup runs hot in guns, is it different shooting minor?
Thanks again guys

It does run hotter but the impulse feels right. It’s definitely not major and still softer than some 9 IMO.

You will enjoy Clays once you dial it in.

9 hours ago, bulm540 said:

3.8 grains of WST with 165s BBIs    134 PF in my stock 2. Nice soft load and very accurate. 

I subbed your YouTube channel, I like the way those 165s look. Definitely will give that a try as well, can I ask what # recoil spring you're using?

Thanks for the info

Sport pistol should do fine.
Personally I always followed this formula for 40 minor.
Take my 180 gr major load,  buy same MFG same profile 155 gr bullets.
Do nothing else to my press but swap bullets. Same powder same die settings same everything.
You will end up with a 140 ish pf load that will cycle same gun without a spring change and shoot same POI as the 180 loads.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:00 AM, Joe4d said:

Sport pistol should do fine.
Personally I always followed this formula for 40 minor.
Take my 180 gr major load,  buy same MFG same profile 155 gr bullets.
Do nothing else to my press but swap bullets. Same powder same die settings same everything.
You will end up with a 140 ish pf load that will cycle same gun without a spring change and shoot same POI as the 180 loads.

I've done the same with Bayou 140gr and got 130 PF, make life easy!

• 1 month later...

Doing some testing with 180 BBIs

temp at 94 degrees and humid as hell

Powder: Clays @ 3.2 grains

OAL: .1.125 

145 Power factor. 

SD:  8.4  

Looks like 2.9 or 3.0 grains maybe the sweet spot. I Will test again next week. 

I hardly notice any smoke.