Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
CSEMARTIN

Breech Face Erosion

Update.....

I have yet to hear back from Winchester.  I have ~20,000 primers for sale if anyone is interested (I'm kidding)!  I'd like Winchester to take them back and refund my money.

Pullman has not responded to me.

Les Baer wants me to send them the slide first before telling me my options, but I suspect they are going to want to put a new slide on the gun, and if so, that will be the most expensive fix by far.  And I'm not really that confident in the rockwell hardness of their steel.

Jim at Innovativecustomguns.com e-mailed me on Sunday.  He does micro tig welding and quoted me $125 - $150 dollars.

Logan Clark at  Clark Custom Guns e-mailed me this morning.  They drill out the corroded area and replace it with a hardened steel plug.  This is the most exciting news.  They charge $8 dollars for materials, $21.30 in labor plus shipping.  

On 7/31/2019 at 12:48 AM, CSEMARTIN said:

I think that is a reasonable question to ask BoyGlock.  Here is my reasoning for wanting this fixed:

1)I don't like it. 

2)I don't want to wait for a problem to develop months or years from now and then try to get Winchester to cover the repairs.

In my countty I dont have much choice. We dont have those warranty parts so we are virtually on our own to wait for any outcome hoping its not unsafe. You are quite lucky. 

2 hours ago, CSEMARTIN said:

And I'm not really that confident in the rockwell hardness of their steel.

Be advised - hardness of the steel has very little to do with it's ability to resist gas cutting (which is what your primers caused, same thing as cutting with an oxy/acetylene or plasma torch). Harder steel is generally harder to machine or grind, but even hard steels like AR500, tool steels, and most knife blades are easily cut with flame. Looking for a harder steel slide or breech face repair will not prevent this from happening again. 

4 hours ago, CSEMARTIN said:

l.

Jim at Innovativecustomguns.com e-mailed me on Sunday.  He does micro tig welding and quoted me $125 - $150 dollars.

Logan Clark at  Clark Custom Guns e-mailed me this morning.  They drill out the corroded area and replace it with a hardened steel plug.  This is the most exciting news.  They charge $8 dollars for materials, $21.30 in labor plus shipping.  

Thanks for the update and info!

I have a Gans that has some erosion. I noticed it shortly after I bought it, I don’t know if it was with the previous owner or me. It hasn’t progressed but it’s nice to know there are economical repair options.

If you need to reach Winchester about any problems with gun damage, primer issues, etc., this is the name and number nobody at Winchster will tell you:

Jake

jchanks@olin.com

618.258.2738 (Direct Line)

It took me three weeks to get this intel.  They dodged me.  Didn't return calls.  Played dumb.  Excuse after another.  It was quite irritating but persistence paid off.

FWIW I had this same problem. It was caused by using Remington brass. The primer pockets are wide and caused leakage. This caused erosion. I have a Baer and use Winchester primers without a problem. Good luck with your problem. 

Posted (edited)

I've used Federal small pistol primers and now CCI small rifle, probably about 20k rounds. 9 major. Some wear but nothing like that. Gun is dirty but i'm lazy.3d354a317c10e8e21d6810c8356fcbdf.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Edited by sc68cal

32 minutes ago, sc68cal said:

I've used Federal small pistol primers and now CCI small rifle, probably about 20k rounds. 9 major. Some wear but nothing like that. Gun is dirty but i'm lazy.
Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

remove the 🙊  burrs from the corner. gun don't need to suffer another 20k.

u are really lazy 😉

4 minutes ago, yigal said:

u are really lazy 😉

That comment was uncalled for. He took the time to be helpful. What have you done?

Posted (edited)

It's my patented "Field expedient fitting of a replacement charging handle before an Area Match by a desk jockey with a dremel and file"

Ah, I also see that burr in the breech face. Hasn't hurt anything and i don't think I have a file or tool small enough to get there without marring anything else.

Edited by sc68cal

55 minutes ago, yigal said:

remove the 🙊  burrs from the corner. gun don't need to suffer another 20k.

u are really lazy 😉

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.
No trolling. No alternate accounts.

Can't see much of the charging handle in that picture.