Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
ysrracer

Can I shoot these Remington 130gr factory rounds?

Posted (edited)

They're factory .38 special 130gr going 800 fps, for a power factor of 104. Can I shoot them in an ICORE match?

Screenshot_20190723-180109.png

Edited by ysrracer

PF is 120 in ICORE IIRC.

and usually factory ammo DOESN"T produce what it says on the box in a Revolver.

Maybe, if you have a Very Long barrel.     :) 

Mike Homm is on the board of ICORE and is currently testing factory Ammo to see if any would make power factor. Mike is currently working on this to try and help those who do not reload. If you happen to find 158 grain at minimum of 760 that would put you at 120 pf and that is also determined by barrel length. 

There are a lot of things that can make a difference in the muzzle velocity. I have a 4 inch 627 that always shoots the same load at least 5 to 10 PF higher than the same load through a 5 inch 627 that I have. tighter or looser barrel dimensions and differences in cylinder gaps. I am using 150 grain coated in short colt cases.

5 inch 627=   110 to 118 PF

4 inch 627 =  126 to 131 PF

6 1/2 in 627= 131 to 138PF

6 1/2 in 929 =  139 to 145 PF

These are just some of the results I have had shooting the same load through different guns.

15 hours ago, ysrracer said:

They're factory .38 special 130gr going 800 fps, for a power factor of 104. Can I shoot them in an ICORE match?

Screenshot_20190723-180109.png

These will work well for Steel Challenge.

15 hours ago, revoman said:

Mike is currently working on this to try and help those who do not reload. 

That's my situation, I don't reload yet.

Thanks for all the info.

There are some 158grain +p 38 special out there that runs about 900 FPS for about 142 pf. If you are going to shoot 130 grain you will need to look for something at 950 fps.  

There used to be certain factory 38 specials that were accepted without chrono in ICORE.  I just don't know which, contact ICORE officers to see.

Just now, pskys2 said:

There used to be certain factory 38 specials that were accepted without chrono in ICORE.  I just don't know which, contact ICORE officers to see.

That went away and they are trying to bring it back. That is why Mike Homm is testing ammo to see which they will accept. If you have any ammo that you think would make power factor email Mike on the Icore web page.

I'd much rather see them test a wide range of factory offerings and then adjust the power factor to match their findings.  It's way too easy to show up with a box of "factory" ammo that isn't what the label says it is just to get out of having to chrono.  IDPA lowered the PF for revo down to 105 and I think that is a bit more in tune with factory offerings.

Maybe you could find some "California loads" in .357...they might make ICORE powerfactor.  :^)

Of course that might be fun and we both know that's against the law in CA.  :^)

Posted (edited)

Seriously, though.  If you look at SGammo.com they have a few 38 spl loads that claim to make the ICORE pf (120).

S&B and PPU are two examples.  Once you find a couple that look possible, maybe you can find them at your local ammo dealer.

You may have to adjust your strain screw to set them off, but perfection may not be available.  :^)

Edited by pyrrhic3gun

Where did they get 120 pf ? 
I know where USPSA minor and major come from, but FAIK, Icore is a service revolver game and 38spc 158's are pretty much standard for a century. I just chrono'd my factory 158 g SWC for a pin match as I was short of ammo. Came up 758 with a 5 inch S&W...
I m new to revolvers. Was older 38 loaded faster than it is today ?

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I know where USPSA minor and major come from, but FAIK, Icore is a service revolver game and 38spc 158's are pretty much standard for a century. I just chrono'd my factory 158 g SWC for a pin match as I was short of ammo. Came up 758 with a 5 inch S&W...
I m new to revolvers. Was older 38 loaded faster than it is today ?

No, but a 158 at 760 is 120, I'm pretty sure that's where it came from.

That's the power factor at the Bianchi Cup.