Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
1911vm

9mm mags question

Recommended Posts

there has to be a thread about this but i could not find it. i have a verity of mags . 1 Dawson that just does not drop free. 3 older Wilson's and a bunch of 9 round  spring field armory mags. i want to switch to just one type.

Trying to decide between. Tripp, Dawson and new Wilson 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Wilson's don't work in my hun-  nose dives.  Brownells a d Metalform do work.  Believe Dawsons are Metaform

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been pretty well covered before. In the end you'll just have to find what YOUR gun likes with the load(s) it shoots best. No real easy way around it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dawson doesn't work in my STI, same issue wont drop free. but Wilson's work geat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely LOVE the new 9mm 1911 8-round mags from Metalform! They have a coating that helps them drop free and they run great both my Colt 70 Series pistols.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1911luvr said:

I absolutely LOVE the new 9mm 1911 8-round mags from Metalform! They have a coating that helps them drop free and they run great both my Colt 70 Series pistols.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8rd 9mm mags ???    for compact?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1911vm said:

there has to be a thread about this but i could not find it. i have a verity of mags . 1 Dawson that just does not drop free. 3 older Wilson's and a bunch of 9 round  spring field armory mags. i want to switch to just one type.

Trying to decide between. Tripp, Dawson and new Wilson 

 

I've had to lightly file the front loading lip of Dawson/Metalforms to get them to drop free.

gone to Tripp's over all,

Dawsons if I have to do a short reload, ie drop a mag and reload after a couple of shots, sometimes the tripps will hang slightly with 8 rounds in them.  One of the top rounds gets striped forward hanging up on the feed ramp.

As said before get one or two of each and then make a decision based on trail and error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8rd 9mm mags ???    for compact?

Sorry, I meant 10. They 8’s are .45.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Spoke to dawson today.  So I am taking this with a grain of salt. Asked what mags should I get from them. Was told that Tripp are great for things like steel challenge  and USPSA but for IDPA where you reload from slide lock go with dawson.  As Tripp loose the top round often . Said nothing about Wilson. 

Edited by 1911vm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take the Dawson mag and cover it with sharpie marker, let it dry it may take a couple coats to get nice coverage. Carefully insert it and see where it's rubbing. Tap it with a brass hammer or gently squeeze it in a vice to make it work. Use calipers to monitor your progress. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had good luck with the tripp mags out of my sti sentry.  That particular gun did not like Wilson mags

Edited by Mike21STI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think jcc7x7 is correct i will have to get two of each and see which my gun likes . I have SA if that makes any difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think jcc7x7 is correct i will have to get two of each and see which my gun likes . I have SA if that makes any difference.
My wife runs a SA Loaded, with Wilson's, works great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tripp !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Distant Thunder said:

This has been pretty well covered before. In the end you'll just have to find what YOUR gun likes with the load(s) it shoots best. No real easy way around it.

 

And make sure your gun has a 9mm slide release in it instead of a 45 slide release if it seems to bind on the follower. I know of a couple high end guns that did not. 

 

Other thing, if you go with Tripps and have issues be aware that some guns prefer their original (solid) follower and some guns prefer the current production split follower (you can still buy the solid follower from them if you call and ask for the part number, I think they changed because some guns were not locking back & then found that fixing that problem led to some guns binding). 

Edited by IHAVEGAS
slide not mag dummy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 1911vm said:

1 Dawson that just does not drop free.

 

20 hours ago, 223to45 said:

Dawson doesn't work in my STI, same issue wont drop free

 

18 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I've had to lightly file the front loading lip of Dawson/Metalforms to get them to drop free.

 

17 hours ago, louu said:

Take the Dawson mag and cover it with sharpie marker, let it dry it may take a couple coats to get nice coverage. Carefully insert it and see where it's rubbing. Tap it with a brass hammer or gently squeeze it in a vice to make it work. Use calipers to monitor your progress. 


I have around 14 of the Dawson/Metalform 9mm mags and they initially would not drop free of my STI either. I did the sharpie thing and couldn't find where they were stuck.

Turned out to be the small ramp in the mag body in front of the feed lips. It projected just slightly too far. A small squeeze front to back in a vice cleared everything up and they all work great now.

 

I also have 5-6 of the older plastic follower Wilson Combat ETM 9mm magazines. I can't reload them on a closed slide with 10 rounds, and people here have advised removing one or two coils from the spring. I haven't done that yet because the Dawsons are running fine.

Sorry that I can't comment on Tripp 9mm mags as I never tried them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using Tripp mags and they work great in my Colt, SA, and single stack SV's.  I've had Wilson's and STI branded ones and they work fine in my guns too.  Hope the ones you ordered will be reliable with your SA.  Let us know how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purchased some 10rd 9mm Metalform from Gregcote for my Springfield RO.  They worked fine and didn't notice any issues dropping them with Dawson USPSA pads.  I can't remember if I had to do it on my 9mm or my .45 but, I did have to file down the catch-lip of the magazine release button.  (Prepped both guns at the same time...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Kimber and an sti 9mm and found tripp to work best in both pistols.

The Wilson nose dived the first round and I couldn't load to 10 rounds, the tripp work fine in both guns and can be loaded with a closed chamber.

 Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TimHawkins said:

I have a Kimber and an sti 9mm and found tripp to work best in both pistols.

The Wilson nose dived the first round and I couldn't load to 10 rounds, the tripp work fine in both guns and can be loaded with a closed chamber.

 Tim

I keep on hearing that tripp mags loose top round on slide lock reloads. have you have you seen that at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the metalform 10rd mags. They work fine in all my 9mm 1911s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1911vm,

 I haven't had any trouble with with either of my pistols, I haven't noticed it happening with any of the other shooters using tripp at our club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to do a report.  Got Brownels 3 pack. In a gun that did not run any 10rd mag 100% reliably.  Ran perfect going to order more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...