Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need for Multiple Machines

I began  several years ago with the RL 550 loading 9mm, and eventually added 38 Special, .40 S&W, and recently 38 Short Colt. I bought a new 650 with a case feeder in the last year in .40 and just finished getting conversions to the other rounds I load. I tend to load in bulk runs so I never run low. With Dillon’s excellent support I am wondering why keep the 550. Any opinions?

Do you load any rifle?  I kept mine for loading rifle rounds. My Rifle loads vary by rifle bullet type etc and I usually have to small batch each load to make range boxes and test.

I would hold onto it because you will only get a 3-400 for it with all the conversions. If you do load or have any plans to load rifle Keep it and sell of your conversion kits.

26 minutes ago, m700 said:

Do you load any rifle?  I kept mine for loading rifle rounds. My Rifle loads vary by rifle bullet type etc and I usually have to small batch each load to make range boxes and test.

I would hold onto it because you will only get a 3-400 for it with all the conversions. If you do load or have any plans to load rifle Keep it and sell of your conversion kits.

No plans to load rifle. It really comes down to having a machine I don’t need, or some cash to reinvest elsewhere. I appreciate your thoughts.

I also use a 650 but kept my 550. I have a need to load different calibers that I don't need bulk amounts. I shoot a 50 AE eagle and load 100 rds at a time. The same with 44 magnum. I do some rifle as well. I find that it's relaxing to go back to loading on a more manual machine. My 650 has a casefeeder and a MBF. I enjoy reloading but sometimes cranking out 500 rds or more at a time is almost boring. When I load on the 550 it reminds me of the fun and pride I have in loading a quality load. Unless you need the money, hold onto the 550 for now. You'll use it. 

I use my progressive for 9 and 40, which I shoot the most of. 

I keep a Lee turret press for 45acp and .223 because I don't shoot much 45acp, and the .223 I run as a single stage until I get to the powder, bullet seat and crimp portion. 

I started out with a 550 and ended up reloading 6 different calibers on that one machine. 4 years later all within the same year I ended up getting a good deal on a used Super 1050 and I reload all of f my 40’s for competition on that. I also ended up with another 550. I now I have a 550 for small primers and the other for large primers. It is nice to be able to run my smaller batches on the 550’s and to not have to change the priming system from one to the other. If it’s paid for it doesn’t owe you any money!

Same as OP started with a 550, then moved to a 650 with case feeder and MBF.  I was planning on using the 650 for 9mm and 223 and the 550 for 45ACP so I wouldn't have to change primer systems.  I barely shoot 45 any more, so I just use the 550 for odd jobs now.  Thought I'd sell it, but it comes in handy for bullet pulling and working up charges.

If your 650 breaks before a match and your not well ahead that could be an issue.  That's why I have two 650's now, plus it's easier.  I have my 550 set up for large primer stuff.  Yours could be your back up for your 650.  But if your not a match shooter, maybe you don't need it.

Not to long ago, I purchased a 550 at a real good price ($245.00).I was going to flip-it. Then I decided to have it rebuilt & add the cost to my asking price. I got it back yesterday & could not sell it. I figured it was paid for & wasn't eating nothing!! I now have two 550"s & a SDB. You can't never have to many Dillons!!!!!

Thanks for all the feedback. Some great points I hadn’t thought of. Got a friend who might want it, otherwise I’ll likely keep it.

Best response was “you can never have to many Dillons.”

2 hours ago, Jay1957 said:

Thanks for all the feedback. Some great points I hadn’t thought of. Got a friend who might want it, otherwise I’ll likely keep it.

Best response was “you can never have to many Dillons.”

There ya go.   Excellent logic.

I see the need for multiples.....bought my first progressive last month, an XL650.....two weeks later I bought a 550C.   Both still in the box just waiting for me to get a couple days off work to set 'em up.

Will be running y handgun stuff on the XL650 with the case feeder.    My hunting rifle stuff will be done on the 550C.  

My journey was over 20 years....owning lots of machines, owning machines one for large primer and one for small. Do this, do that...

At the last cross road, I sold a spare 550 and a Square deal. Purchased a dedicated 1050 in 9mm. IT's been fun. I am now spoiled my the 1050 and want to go .40 full time. My loading partner Jack Russell is going to have to kick in and buy dad a used 1050 for .40

9 hours ago, rdinga said:

My journey was over 20 years....owning lots of machines, owning machines one for large primer and one for small. Do this, do that...

At the last cross road, I sold a spare 550 and a Square deal. Purchased a dedicated 1050 in 9mm. IT's been fun. I am now spoiled my the 1050 and want to go .40 full time. My loading partner Jack Russell is going to have to kick in and buy dad a used 1050 for .40

My first press was a used RCBS Junior 39 years ago, loading 9mm for pistol and .243 and 6mm for rifle, I still have it. In the 90s I got hooked on Skeet and ended up with 4 MECs for 12, 20, 28 and .410. At this point I really like the 650, and caliber changes aren’t bad. I’ve come a long way from the RCBS and hand priming...

• 3 weeks later...

I started with a 450 in the mid-80s which has now been upgraded one piece at a time to a  full 550 and picked up a second 550....One is small primer and the other is large primer. Simplifies my life.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 10:24 AM, Jay1957 said:

I am wondering why keep the 550. Any opinions?

My thought here (being a 550 fanboy)

The qusetion you have to ask yourself is

"Do I feel lucky"

No thats not it. I reload a lot of off the wall outdated and or military rounds. So far my 550 has been doing it and a caliber swap in quik & easy. But if you only load a limited amount of calibers you might not need it.

The only thing better than a 550 is two 550's, one in large primer and one in small.

On 9/1/2019 at 2:33 PM, Jay1957 said:

Thanks for all the thoughts. Decided to keep 550. Primarily for load development.

Exactly why I keep my 550 around.   Faster to set up to knock out test loads.  (This is where all the duplicated die sets end up too!) 

However I also use it for loading for my bench bolt guns.   But small runs of 100 etc.