Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat Brass Magwell Fitting

Robertwil18

I've got a new Limcat Brass Magwell in Black and I'm currently working to put it on my STI Edge with Extreme DVC Grip.  I'm noticing some very slight movement and wiggle in the front end of the magwell, and while it does not seem to cause any issues with seating magazines, the OCD in me is pinging.   I put it on a standard untouched STI grip, and it fit perfectly, with no wiggle.  I'm assuming this is simply due to the reduced profile of the DVC grip.  I was thinking about just slightly building up the lower portion of the grip that would be covered by the magwell with JB weld or another epoxy that would reduce or eliminate the movement and play in the magwell.   Any thoughts or ideas?  

31 minutes ago, ARac40 said:

I had the same issue with a DVC grip. I used some 3m double sided foam tape. It holds it in place and you can build it up to the fitment you want. I

Sounds like an innovative fix.  You have any pictures of it?  

I have had no issues with the current limcat magwells and dvc grips.  This is both with brass and aluminum steel insert magwells and 2-3 different DVC grips.  Did you maybe buy a magwell used that might have been fit to a PT grip or something?

No wiggle on my 2 EVO's but there is a slight wiggle on my wife's gun with a limcat steel grip.  I put a little piece of foam/neoprene (from a coozy) at the rear under the MSH and it went away. 

Edited by echotango

12 hours ago, tha1000 said:

I have had no issues with the current limcat magwells and dvc grips.  This is both with brass and aluminum steel insert magwells and 2-3 different DVC grips.  Did you maybe buy a magwell used that might have been fit to a PT grip or something?

No, i confirmed it was made for an STI/2011 and the magwell fit perfectly on the standard STI grip.  I was able to use a small amount of JB weld and build up just the very bottom of the grip on the DVC and then sand/file it to a nice tight interference fit that has no play.   Should work well now.  

On 7/28/2019 at 11:09 AM, tha1000 said:

Thats the drawback of cheely and Sv grips...  proprietary magwells. 

Cheely just released the XL magwell which seems very similar to the Limcat, but using delrin instead of steel (not sure why, patent maybe).

http://ccgunworks.com/xl-magwell-black/

Though I agree it is unfortunate and can be frustrating when things are proprietary.

7 minutes ago, clw42 said:

Cheely just released the XL magwell which seems very similar to the Limcat, but using delrin instead of steel (not sure why, patent maybe).

http://ccgunworks.com/xl-magwell-black/

Though I agree it is unfortunate and can be frustrating when things are proprietary.

I dont see how the convex derlin insert will do the job that the steel insert does.  I suspect it will be a gouge magnet.  I seriously doubt it is a patent issue.  Regardless, I hate that CK and SV grips severely limit your options in terms of magwells.

10 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

I dont see how the convex derlin insert will do the job that the steel insert does.  I suspect it will be a gouge magnet.  I seriously doubt it is a patent issue.  Regardless, I hate that CK and SV grips severely limit your options in terms of magwells.

Yeah, I'm not sure either, but he has a video on his facebook showing how the magwell corrects the insertion.  Granted, it's an empty mag on the table and a grip fitted only with the magwell.  Don't get me wrong, I hate it as well and was just pointing out that he came out with something similar.  On the plus side (I suppose), the insert is replaceable.

If not a patent issue, then I have no clue why they wouldn't just use steel.  Who knows, maybe one is in the works, but this was a faster, less expensive solution.  I'm not on Social Media or I'd ask him.

Edited by clw42

4 minutes ago, clw42 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure either, but he has a video on his facebook showing how the magwell corrects the insertion.  Granted, it's an empty mag on the table and a grip fitted only with the magwell.  Don't get me wrong, I hate it as well and was just pointing out that he came out with something similar.  On the plus side (I suppose), the insert is replaceable.

If not a patent issue, then I have no clue why they wouldn't just use steel.  Who knows, maybe one is in the works, but this was a faster, less expensive solution.  I'm not on Social Media or I'd ask him.

I am a destroyer of things... basically Thanos to magwells.  I gave up on derlin insert magwells a long time ago.

Edited by tha1000

1 minute ago, tha1000 said:

I am a destroyer of things... basically Thanos to magwells.  I gave up on derlin insert magwells a long time ago.

I do believe I've read about that somewhere on this forum before.

1 minute ago, clw42 said:

I do believe I've read about that somewhere on this forum before.

Ha.  I was an early adopter of the limcat magwell.  I have only managed to remove the finish from the insert.  Probably my all time favorite gun accessory at this point.  Truly a wonderful product.

1 hour ago, tha1000 said:

Ha.  I was an early adopter of the limcat magwell.  I have only managed to remove the finish from the insert.  Probably my all time favorite gun accessory at this point.  Truly a wonderful product.

I've seen the photos.

I was a little disappointed that Cheely went with Delrin as well, but I think I'll likely use the E2 aggressive anyway, as it's a much better fit for me.