Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr. Bullet Feeder Pro Not Dropping

I did a search, but I have not found anyone with this issue.  I have a Mr. Bullet Feeder Pro that came with the Mark 7 Revolution I bought to load 9mm.  I had a regular Mr. Bullet feeder on  my dillon 650 that works fine, but I'm having major issues with the pro version.  The issue i'm having is that it will only feed 6 bullets and then stop.  The bullets above the dropper won't drop down.  I'm loading Zero 124g FMJ so the bullets are staggered in the drop tube.  Now the funny thing is this is only with the Pro version of the dropper.  If I use the Aluminum drop assembly from the standard Mr. Bullet feeder it all works fine.  I was thinking of polishing the top portion of the dropper as I can see some tool marks and thought the bullets might be hanging on there.  Anyone else have this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem, even after polishing the die to within an inch of it's life.  The dropper tube will still fail to drop every 10th bullet or so, and the bullets that do drop won't fall into the case mouth reliably.  The funnel seems to be adjusted properly.  It's getting pretty frustrating. 

• 8 months later...

Sure they are not sticking against the microswitch arm? That happened to me on the regular MBF. I had to bend the arm out some to give it less angle to snag the bullets but not so much they wouldn't trip it. The arm on mine was also slightly rubbing on the side the slot so it was hanging up. Once that arm was adjusted, its been working great since. 

No, they were not sticking against the microswitch arm. I removed the dropper assembly from the machine and tried to add bullets to fill the assembly up to the switch. I then dropped out a few bullets until the dropper body was clear. A bullet seemed to stop at the dropper body mouth where the brass adapter meets the dropper body and the whole column was not moving down. If I shook the brass adapter a bit, the stuck bullet dropped down. 

I contacted Mark 7 for help and they said this is a common problem with Mr. BulletFeeder Pro. They actually preferred the standard version than this. I did what they recommended: chamfer red the dropper mouth to a funnel-like shape with countersink bits and then polished it. The problem is resolved after doing that. The key was that I needed to really polish the mouth to a mirror-like surface. 

I've got 6 of the droppers, one is the old original version without the ball bearings, but they all work just fine. Sounds more like an adjustment error vs an actual problem with the dropper itself. 

They said this problem is more common for 9mm 115gr and 124gr bullets. I'm loading 9mm 124gr. 

The bullets drop from the dropper to the case properly, but they got stuck at the mouth where the brass collar meets the dropper. I don't think you can do any adjustment to fix this though. 

what are they getting stuck on? I load 124 and 147gr and never experienced this. I have had the dropper get stuck and a bunch of bullets spill out, but adding the return springs to the dropper fixed that

This is the picture they sent me. Look at the top of the dropper, it's shaped like a funnel now compared to the original one. I did the same to my dropper and it completely fixed the problem. I'm loading Precision Delta FMJ 124 gr and I haven't tried any other bullets yet. Except this problem, my dropper is working fine though and is dropping one bullet at a time.

image001.jpg

Edited by ariesadel

• 1 year later...

It's only happening with round nose bullets as they stack in a zig zag pattern in the tube, meaning the weight above pushes down on the left or right side causing the base to jam against the side. Flat nose bullets stack neatly on each other so the weight is directly above and hence the base is not being tilted to a side, so no jam.

I chamfered which reduced the frequency but may have to chamfer deeper to totally stop the problem.

Edited by Dowen

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I bumped into this thread.  I have the original Mr. BF (1050/Mark VII) and it's dropped in excess of 150K rounds.  I've seen the same thing with 115gr bullets to this extent: even though I seldom get a complete hang-up I believe the stack gets held up at the funnel and decreases the force of engagement between case and fed bullet.  These little round nose guys are the only configuration that occasionally tips over; I've adjusted the powder funnel (a worn-slick Mr. BF) through a big range but nothing improves the situation.  I'm transitioning to 127gr Brass Monkey for my Steel Challenge load, but I have thousands of those little buggers that I'd like to use up.  Too bad they don't have a slight chamfer on the base.  Any and all suggestions welcome.

• 1 month later...

I have been loading Blue Bullets and switched back to the S&S Casting Bullets. 

They are TC style bullets. They zig zag stack in the bullet dropper die. 

I tried to taper the top of the die but they still occasionally still get cought up on the top of the die. 

I will need taper it steeper and try again