Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New (to me) Witness P.

40 cal, and a tackdriver.  Already upgraded to an 18# Wolff single recoil spring and a Henning conefit guide rod. Greatly helped felt recoil and reliability.  Thinking about coyote Cerrokote for the lower, maybe with black insets for the "grip panels". Does anybody make butt plugs for these guns, and are there any mods I can do to make her more reliable or address known issues?

Trying to replace the firing pin spring too. Wolff sent me one. Assuming it works like a 1911? Is there something I need to do to remove the retainer? It's stuck fast, and on every 45 I have ever had they come down with finger pressure...

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Apolo said:

"Butt Plugs" I got a good chuckle. As far as I know, no one mags grip slugs for them. Also 18lb recoil spring? That's fairly heavy. 

He’s got a compact gun, which I’m sure he’s shooting full-house ammo through. Not a competition guy.

No one makes much of anything for the compact polymer guns, so I believe you’re limited to what crosses over from the popular steel-framed Stock 2, Stock 3, and Limited Elite type of gun. Like the guide rod.

Why are you replacing the firing pin spring if you aren’t also installing a different hammer spring? They’re pretty much a matched pair, and the hammer spring is what affects trigger pull. A swap of the firing pin spring will not affect that.

3 minutes ago, plain_old_dave said:

Well, it moderates the recoil. Heavy now, but not snappy.

A heavier spring may help with this, at the expense of more muzzle flip.

Competition guys run a lighter spring to help flatten the gun out and let your sights return to target faster. So to most of the guys who read this, it’ll feel like a step in the wrong direction.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

He’s got a compact gun, which I’m sure he’s shooting full-house ammo through. Not a competition guy.

I'll be 48 in September. Winning competitions was 20 years ago. And I am shooting over the counter range ammo. None of them I would call "light."

Why are you replacing the firing pin spring if you aren’t also installing a different hammer spring? They’re pretty much a matched pair, and the hammer spring is what affects trigger pull. A swap of the firing pin spring will not affect that.

Wolff sent me a firing pin spring. That's the only reason I'm replacing it

4 hours ago, plain_old_dave said:

Well, it moderates the recoil. Heavy now, but not snappy.

Try some American Eagle 147 FMJ's. IMO, they seemed to be the lightest recoiling factory loads that I could find.