Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 locking up

mont1120

Having an odd issue with a CO SP-01 getting locked up during matches. I have been shooting it for 2 years now and have not had any issues until the last three matches.

The problems usually happens after a reload, I fire off one or two rounds after the reload, and then the gun jams tighter than Dicks hatband. The gun jams up with the slide held open, and the round jammed into the barrel right where the bullet is seated in the top of the brass. I have to hammer the grip to get the jam out, and I mean hitting it like I was clearing a 1911. The CZ does not have a lot of grip surface on the slide...........

I had thought it was the bullet, but that theory has been ruled out. It has happened with a Gallant 135 gr, a Blue Bullet 115, and a BB 147 gr. I double checked OAL, and it is correct, as is the plunk test. After the jam is cleared, the gun runs fine. Any thoughts? Checked to see if a piece of brass was stuck, nothing in the barrel to cause it I can see.

I case gauge every single round. The ones that failed do meet the case gauge specs.  The rounds I recovered had the polymer cut rights where the bullet was entering the bottom of the ramp/barrel. Its like it got slammed into the breech before the round came up high enough.

I do have a new recoil spring on the way. Would a broken slide stop keeping working well after the jamming?

3 minutes ago, mont1120 said:

--- snip --- Its like it got slammed into the breech before the round came up high enough. --- snip ---

If the bullets are hitting low, the problem may be magazine related. Load mags and look to see if there is a gap between the top round and the second round. If there is space, the top round can nose-dive and hit low. This is usually caused by the mag tube being out of spec in the double to single stack transition area.

1 hour ago, mont1120 said:

On the CZ mags.the 2nd bullet does sit slightly lower at the nose. Is that the issue you r talking about?

How would you correct that problem? Can the tubes be reset?

Again, if there is a gap between the first and second round (at the bullet end), the top round can dip down when being stripped off the mag by the slide. Just push the top round out with your hand and you will see what I mean. The mag tube can be reshaped to provide proper stacking. How do I do it? I visit Beven at Grams Engineering 😉

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the mag got stepped on and it was out of specs. I reset the lips, bought new springs, but it has been retired because I feel it is still not quite right in the way the body is shaped. With the new springs it seems to work OK, but a $30 mag is not worth jamming the gun up in a match. It is relegated to back up when the mags get so full of mud and crap I find I dont have time between stages to clean and reload mags properly. (A lot of times I am the RO also.)