Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
xen0ph0n

Federal Syntech 205gr 40S&W keyhole problem

I just shot my second USPSA match today. Shooting limited major, 40, out of a gen 3 glock 35 with the stock barrel. I'm new to all of this, and don't reload, so I picked up some 205gr Syntech between last match and today.

On the first stage, we noticed that my rounds were consistently keyholing on targets ~7 yards or more out. The gun was cycling fine though, no malfunctions. Has anyone else had keyhole issues with Syntech? I'm new to action shooting, but not firearms, and I've never seen decent factory ammo keyhole out of a reputable handgun before. Should I contact Federal about getting a new batch?

more than likely a new batch will yield the same results. some barrels just dont like some bullets.

reason most folks , as well as the standard 40 is 180 gr. Heavier the bullet and lower the velocity the more twist is needed to stabilize it.
Wasnt all that long ago 147's would key hole with 9mm's when you tried to load em around 130pf  115 and 124 was the standard. Had a walther and a couple hipowers that did this. Had to either increase the velocity or decrease bullet weight to get them to not keyhole.
Guessing maybe the industry standard rifling has changed over the last  few decades that or I just had some flukes. As 147's seem pretty popular at minor PF. 

Thanks all. I've been meaning to grab a KKM barrel anyway, so I picked one up. Hopefully it should solve the problem.

i used that 205g syntech for the first time last weekend out of my 5" sti edge barrel at a uspsa match and didn't notice any keyholing.  i do need to play around with it a little for groups/accuracy/poi as i didn't do that before the match and i've been using atlanta arms 180g reloads to date.

On 7/28/2019 at 12:20 AM, orangeride said:

I’d try a aftermarket barrel. 

Eh, why not just shoot ammo that doesn't tumble? 

th

33 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

Eh, why not just shoot ammo that doesn't tumble? 

Be my choice...

Yeah using different ammo would be a much cheaper solution than a new barrel. That Syntech stuff is overpriced anyway.