Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal Syntech 205gr 40S&W keyhole problem

xen0ph0n

I just shot my second USPSA match today. Shooting limited major, 40, out of a gen 3 glock 35 with the stock barrel. I'm new to all of this, and don't reload, so I picked up some 205gr Syntech between last match and today.

On the first stage, we noticed that my rounds were consistently keyholing on targets ~7 yards or more out. The gun was cycling fine though, no malfunctions. Has anyone else had keyhole issues with Syntech? I'm new to action shooting, but not firearms, and I've never seen decent factory ammo keyhole out of a reputable handgun before. Should I contact Federal about getting a new batch?

reason most folks , as well as the standard 40 is 180 gr. Heavier the bullet and lower the velocity the more twist is needed to stabilize it.
Wasnt all that long ago 147's would key hole with 9mm's when you tried to load em around 130pf  115 and 124 was the standard. Had a walther and a couple hipowers that did this. Had to either increase the velocity or decrease bullet weight to get them to not keyhole.
Guessing maybe the industry standard rifling has changed over the last  few decades that or I just had some flukes. As 147's seem pretty popular at minor PF. 

i used that 205g syntech for the first time last weekend out of my 5" sti edge barrel at a uspsa match and didn't notice any keyholing.  i do need to play around with it a little for groups/accuracy/poi as i didn't do that before the match and i've been using atlanta arms 180g reloads to date.

• 4 months later...

What were you shooting it out of. Looking at getting a 2011 40 cal and looking at Ammo options. I have shot a lot of syntech in the past in pcc and never had a problem. I just wonder about shooting a 40cal in a 2011 that is loaded “long”. Was wondering if you were shooting a 2011 if that could be the problem.

12 minutes ago, scduckman03 said:

What were you shooting it out of. Looking at getting a 2011 40 cal and looking at Ammo options. I have shot a lot of syntech in the past in pcc and never had a problem. I just wonder about shooting a 40cal in a 2011 that is loaded “long”. Was wondering if you were shooting a 2011 if that could be the problem.

OP Says a  Glock 35 Gen 3. 

Just now, scduckman03 said:

Sorry.. brain fart I guess. So has anyone on here tried these bullets in a 2011 that could answer my question about feeding?

Probably have better luck in the 1911 section. 

• 4 years later...

Shot my first Fed Syntec 205gr, G35 Gen 4, four rounds out of 15 keyholed at 7m.  Fed Action Pistol 180g, one round out of 15.   I'm still breaking in the G35, only up to 150 rounds or so.  Will clean it tonight and try again tomorrow, but having almost a third of the rounds keyhole against the price?  I might just stick with reloading.

• 3 weeks later...

Took the G35 back to the range with my P16.40, my first USPSA pistol.  It's got probably 5,000 rounds through it and shoots with zero problems.  No keyholes with this ammo but it did low-jam on a full mag, did ok with only 14 rounds.  Another 14 out of the G35 and two keyholes.

So far I'm not happy with this ammo, especially given the CPR.

flickr album of test shots

Given the frequency of this complaint, I would start to think that the issue is the coated bullet interacting with polygonal rifling.

You rarely hear complaints from folks who are using conventionally-rifled barrels with this ammo.  I saw where the OP was going to get a different barrel.  I wonder if he did and how that affected the results, but he hasn't visited the Forums since 2020...