Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA MG 8.4.2.3 (RO clearing a firearm)

I am posting this question in this forum because of the diverse range of multigun experience here. I am posting the same question in the USPSA/IPSC Rules forum in case any differences in culture yield different responses. Hopefully the mods will let both threads coexist so any culture differences will be apparent.

Scenario: An RO is assigned to clear a safely-abandoned firearm while the shooter is downrange with a second firearm. While attempting to clear the firearm, this RO has an accidental discharge. The shot goes "safely" into a side berm.

The applicable rules would appear to be:

8.4.2.3 In order to reduce stage clearance time a Range Officer may be assigned to clear “abandoned” firearms, at the Range Master’s discretion, provided the stage design allows for this to be done in a way that allows the gun to be cleared in a safe direction and without interfering with the competitor’s attempt at the course of fire. In such cases the competitor’s delegate will accompany the official responsible for clearing abandoned firearms. Competitors must be advised of this procedure during the stage briefing. The RO and delegate shall verify that the abandoned firearm is in a legal abandoned state (e.g., properly positioned and safety-on or firearm empty). Upon verifying the condition, the RO will clear the firearm with the delegate confirming it is clear. The firearm may then be transported to the staging area or other specified location behind the firing line. Handguns must be bagged if they are to be moved to the staging area or a safe area. The Range Officer is responsible for the safe handling of the firearm during this process, including (but not limited to) muzzle direction.

10.3.1 A competitor or staff member who commits a safety infraction or any other prohibited activity during a USPSA match will be disqualified from that match. When the safety infraction or prohibited activity is caused by a medical condition the competitor or staff member will be prohibited from attempting any remaining courses of fire and duties in that match regardless of the schedule or physical layout of the match. The Director of NROI shall be notified immediately. (A Multigun match is considered a single match.)

Questions:

1) How should the Range Master handle this incident?

2) Should the incident be handled differently if the RO in question is a non-shooting member of staff vs. a shooting member of staff who has already completed the pre-match vs. a fellow competitor on the same squad who has been temporarily co-opted into the RO role (which is not uncommon at local matches)?

3) Do you have any experience with such an incident occurring at a non-USPSA/outlaw match? If so, how was it handled?

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Wow, must never happen.....except that one time at band camp! Saw it once, I was co-R.M. had an R.O. roach one into a barrel. Claimed it was the shooters fault because the safety wasn't on. I asked him WHY did he pull the trigger? He said he did that on all the guns to make sure the safety was on. Told him to leave, don't come back ...ever! But I still see his name occasionally at bigger matches as an R.O. No excuses for that stuff! But he's still out there......and a "certified" USPSA R.O. to boot! 

BTW my shoulder is just now feeling good and fix those F-ing fault lines you slacker!

13 hours ago, kurtm said:

...BTW my shoulder is just now feeling good and fix those F-ing fault lines you slacker!

Glad to hear you are doing OK. I understand a lot of older men suffer from color blindness - we are consulting with AARP on the optimal color for our fault lines. :roflol:

Uhm, you do know the AARP is way anti- gun, you will be waiting a long time for a reply. Must have been a gap in your memory.......like the ones in you fault line.😁

I'm not sure what the results were but at Nationals a CRO let a round of birdshot loose into a dump barrel. From what I heard he was reassigned to a different stage and wasn't allowed to handle any guns for the rest of the match. 

• 3 weeks later...

1) Should be handled in the same manner as any competitor, it is a DQ or removal from active duty. The act of clearing a firearm does not mean pulling the trigger regardless of who is doing it.

2) No, same for everyone.  Again, firearm wouldn't discharge without the trigger pull, a no-no.

3) Fortunately NO.