Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther Q5 and/or Q5 SF Data Request

szhttm

If you have run your competition ammo in your Walther Q5 and/or Q5 SF through a chrono, please list your model gun (Q5 or Q5 SF), bullet weight (115, 124, 147, etc.), average power factor, encountering any issues (none, Failure to Extract, Failure to Eject), and if you are using a factory or different recoil spring (list new weight spring weight).  I hope to publish my complete results next week (I need to chrono my competition ammo).  I am not asking for your load data but just the bullet weight you are using and the average power factor you determined after running the ammo through a chrono.

My data

• Model Gun:  Q5 SF
  • Bullet Weight:  147
  • Power Factor:  TBD
  • Encountering Issues: None
  • Recoil Spring:  Factory

As per a response I received, depending on the bullet weight you are using you may need to load to an average power factor.  I'm also assuming at this time that the factory recoil system is set up to handle NATO ammunition.  With your help in providing the information requested above, I think we can help isolate it down.  Again, assuming at this time, I believe changing the extractor spring to Keith's new version and a lighter recoil spring (depending on your power factor) will help prevent the issues some are having with Failure to Eject and/or Failure to Extract.  I also believe the Walther Q5 and Q5 SF come with really fast barrels.  So if you haven't run your ammo through a chrono, I think you will be surprised at the results when you do.

If I can and can figure out how to do it, I plan to insert a spreadsheet here to gather all the data received.

Thank you!!!

Walther Q5 and_or Q5 SF Data Request.xlsx

Edited by szhttm
Updated attachment - 07/22/2019

Q5

5” PPQ M2

Two different 4” PPQs

They eat factory 115s just fine.

Thousands of round of it downrange.

My competition guns are running a 13lb 1911 wilson flatwire spring on a custom machined guide rod.

They’ve eaten 124, 135, and 147gr ammo without a hitch. I load to roughly 135pf when developing a load, so everything’s 133-137pf.

I’ve never seen anyone local have issues getting a Walther to run reliably. But they do indeed have very fast barrels.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Poly Q5 will eat anything with factory setup no matter bullet size and any Pf from 128-140(probably higher) in my experience. 

Q5 Sf on other hand needs some competition refinement. Everyone I have talked to since gun came out in January and I got mine has had some issue usually FTE. Most cases have been with reloaded ammo that “works fine” in other guns including poly Q5. My fix was a 13lb Wilson flat wire on a ZR tactical PPQ guide rod with 1/8” hole drilled in back. Running uncapatured like this may be the reason I have a slight chip on muzzle end of frame that guide rod/spring sits on so decide for your self if it’s worth it. I have had this setup since March and have run 147,135 and now 125 Blue Bullets in same PF range.

• Model Gun:  Q5 SF
  • Bullet Weight:  125gr BlueBullets
  • Power Factor:  134-136
  • Recoil Spring:  ZR Tactical
Edited by PokerNGuns

8 hours ago, PokerNGuns said:

Q5 Sf on other hand needs some competition refinement. Everyone I have talked to since gun came out in January and I got mine has had some issue usually FTE. 

•  

I have yet to have any issues feeding or extracting. The gun just runs.  Same with 2 friends that also have SF's. 

Edited by echotango

Stock springs seem to work in my gun down to about 130pf, below that you need a reduced power spring.  After some testing I settled on ~125pf 147gr FN loads with titegroup, which seemed to have the least subjective recoil of the various bullets and powers I tested. 

• Model Gun:  Q5 SF
  • Bullet Weight:  Precision Delta 147 FN
  • Power Factor:  125 (tested)
  • Recoil Spring:  SpringCo White (~13 lbs)
Edited by Chrome308

Running stock RSA, tried the Walther tungsten RSA and liked the poly one better.  First Q5 poly has approximately 15k through it with ZERO issues, second Q5 poly has about 1,500 rounds through it with also ZERO issues.  Both are set up for Carry Optics.  My load is 135 pf Accura 124 grain plated over Sport Pistol powder.  I like the feel of a slightly higher pf and it shoots extremely well.  This load runs in all of my competition guns and has yet to cause any problem.  I also use range pickup brass and only cull steel, aluminum, or 2-piece cases.

Q5 polymer

Accura plated 124 gr

135 power factor (verified on multiple chrono's)

No issues whatsoever

Factory RSA

There are also 2 PPQ 4" guns that I shoot regularly with the same load.  I have not chrono'd through these guns yet but ZERO problems and all my PPQ's are factory spec.

What OAL are folks running with 147gr coated? Interested since I just ordered a SF and have thousands of 147gr.coated FP's loaded @ 1.148 that make between 880 and 920 from other 5" barrels.

On 7/24/2019 at 6:14 PM, jdlincoln said:

What OAL are folks running with 147gr coated? Interested since I just ordered a SF and have thousands of 147gr.coated FP's loaded @ 1.148 that make between 880 and 920 from other 5" barrels.

You will likely find that combination will need to be shortened down into the 1.090”-1.110” range in order to fit the short-chambered Walther guns.

There’s a reason I had a carbide reamer made: All my Walthers will eat anything out past 1.150” now. These barrels are HARD and will destroy most chamber reamers.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:14 PM, jdlincoln said:

For my Q5 SF running my 147s, my OAL average is 1.148

37 minutes ago, jdlincoln said:

Which Wilson 13# flatwire springs do I need? They list them for both 4 and 5" guns.  The ZR guiderod is shorter than a 5" 1911 guiderod,

5” ..you may want to order 11lb also to test

1 hour ago, PokerNGuns said:

5” ..you may want to order 11lb also to test

OK thanks. I don't see an 11 listed, but I do have an assortment of regular 1911 springs ranging from 8-18 lbs. Suppose those could work too?

I did order the 13# flatwire just now.

Edited by jdlincoln
more