Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR 80 19 rd. mag, issues

mikeAZ

New RIA 80 owner.... Not new to mag fed shotguns. This gun looks to be well thought out compared to others...Even cycled some 1 oz. x 7 1/2  loads (5 rd mags).. I've been  reading all the other 40+ posts on the shotgun including the 19 rd mag info. I did the usual removal of any plastic flash from the follower and removed any sharp edges, reversed the springs, etc. After some initial jamming,  the bolt hold open lever edge  has been slightly rounded thinking that was the issue?....... Looking at the inside of the 19 rd. mag body,  it's easy too see that the rear  transition grove from one mag body to the other leaves room for the bolt hold open lever to "catch" and tilt the follower rendering  the mag to a "jammed" condition..... I think the bolt hold open  could be useful at times BUT the spring inside the bolt hold open is to stiff forcing the follower to tilt???? ... looks like I could either remove the spring & arm  (rendering the bolt hold open feature gone) and/or/ try realigning the 2 mag sections as suggested?. Long ago,  I had a Tooth & Nail 1919 28 rounder that never functioned 100% from day one even after a trip back to them, yet some are lucky enough to have functional big sticks? ( Yes, I used the proper ammo back then,  AA's 1350 fps)...When the follower transitions / gets "stuck" the shells are free to rattle around in the mags. SO, we all know that when "trouble" rears it's head  your shooting in a match it seems?.. So what works best?.. It's the follower being stuck/tilted it's not the ammo. The bolt hold open sure could help a reload under match conditions I think?...Opinions please....

I removed the bolt hold open parts from all my mags.  With said parts in place the mags would not drop free.  I didn’t see the benefit of LRBHO when I had to pull the empty mag out.  Mags seat fine fully loaded on closed bolt.  This is my opinion, and it’s worth exactly what you paid for it.🙂

You should also try to cote the inside and the follower with a friction reducing spray of some sort.  I've been using a molybdenum disulfide spray from 3m to reduce the fire tian.  It is amazing how much friction can be reduced by using something like this.  I've been using it on my MKA1919 magazines for about 6 years now, and haven't had a feeding problem since.  Make sure to tune the mag feeding lips also.  

The spray I use, I got from Amazon.  

Good info, I have the moly spray on hand... I'll try the spray on one and the BHO  removal on the other.... The 5 & 9 rounders work 100%. Time to get a longer bag?...

ria 002.jpg

Edited by mike NM
spelling

Update.....Maybe a simple fix for the 19 rd. mags?....... I did remove the bolt hold open from both 19 rd. mags, they were much better. I did lightly sanded/polished the follower.I found that on both mags the followers became stuck in the upper part of the mags at the mid point of the 4 slots. i found about .006 difference in the internal measurements before the "slots" and after the "slots"...........Just enough for the follower to drag a bit in the slotted area, NOT before and Not after. (Bottom part of the mag was fine). I looked for a means to slightly expand this area, nothing seemed to be just right?.... HF to the rescue!!!... The 4 pry bar set ($11.99) worked. Insert one of the longer bars into an empty mag in the slotted area and twist. You can see the metal move but just a few .000's. I tried several spots in the slotted area... Now the follower drops in from the bottom and goes completely to the top of the mag...  A little crude but it was all i could find  at the time 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Anyone had any luck with the 20 round drum from tooth & nail?

My shotgun is a Typhoon F12, similar in design to the VR 80.  I have had pretty good luck with my Tooth & Nail drum.  I did have to open the notch in the mag body  about 1/16 to allow the the mag to seat properly.  From a function stand point I have about 400 rds through it and it has been problem free.  

• 9 months later...

Anyone have any problems with the magazine being stuck inside the VR-80? I have one round in the magazine right now the bolt is to the rear so I can’t take it apart and the magazine isnt sitting Correctly the bolt won’t move neither will the mag can anyone help me?

Are you sure you don't have a Calunicornia legal VR80?  It has a magazine lock that blocks the magazine release until the upper and lower are separated.  

I think you should be able to remove the set screw from the magazine release button and then unscrew the magazine release button from the magazine catch.  I think??  Then you should be able to push out the magazine catch by lightly tapping it with a drift punch.

Nolan

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, spgobbles said:

I have an unloaded 19 round magazine stuck in a new VR80. I cannot get it to release. Any tricks to accomplish this. 

Have you tried separating the upper from the lower, or removing the mag release button as above?  With the upper removed you should be able to see what is hanging up the magazine.  If the magazine still has the last round bolt hold open feature, the spring loaded tab may have over-ridden the bolt release.

Nolan

On 8/22/2021 at 7:50 PM, spgobbles said:

I have an unloaded 19 round magazine stuck in a new VR80. I cannot get it to release. Any tricks to accomplish this. 

Check the set screw that holds the mag release button. Had this happen to us and the lock set screw that holds the inner mag release screw had backed out and it would not push the release all the way to drop the mag. Tighten the set screw or remove both and release will come apart.

gerritm