Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cbrussell

I am thinking of switching to the Limcat brass steel inset magwell for my 2011. I presently use Dawson base pads, however, I understand they will not work with the Limcat magwell. What are the preferred base pads? With my Dawson base pad set up I get 21 round reloadable magazine capacity. Which alternate base pads would work and allow the same capacity?

Thanks for the help.

Taran Tactical works great with my Limcat Magwell....what division you shot will depend on wether you need the 7mm, 4mm, or 3mm pad.  Website has a chart that will explain it further

I use the taran pads but a factory rubber sti baseplate seats. I imagine the Dawson’s will work as Daniel mentioned above. I’d try them before spending a bunch of money to fix an issue that doesn’t exist. 

I have the SNL Dawson base pads which may present a problem. I’m shoot Limited in USPSA and see the chart but it is confusing as to whether I should use the 3mm or 4 mm TT base pad. Can anyone shed some light on the situation? 

Thanks.

13 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I have the SNL Dawson base pads which may present a problem. I’m shoot Limited in USPSA and see the chart but it is confusing as to whether I should use the 3mm or 4 mm TT base pad. Can anyone shed some light on the situation? 

Thanks.

Magazine body governs which thickness pad you need to fit the gauge.

What manufactures mag body are you running?

I know this answer will suck, but you don’t know which ones fit until you try them. SNL stands for Sometimes Not Legal, so even Dave doesn’t know for sure if they fit the gauge. And that’s why Taran makes 3 & 4mm base pads. You’ll be safe with 3, but 4 may fit. 

1 hour ago, OPENB said:

I know this answer will suck, but you don’t know which ones fit until you try them. SNL stands for Sometimes Not Legal, so even Dave doesn’t know for sure if they fit the gauge. And that’s why Taran makes 3 & 4mm base pads. You’ll be safe with 3, but 4 may fit. 

SNL may fit the gauge but they won’t seat in a pistol with Limcat Magwell that’s his concern 

The Taran chart seems to have a misprint as for limited division with a SV tube it’s says use pad “4g” I assume they mean “4mm”

I have 3 and 4 mm pads but the only SV tubes I have are 170 so I can’t test them in a gauge for you....but as openB said even with the same manufacture every mag is different and only way to know for sure is trying your setup in a gauge. Cbrussell if you’d like I can mail you a 3 and 4mm to test out.

Thanks for the offer Hawk21, but I kind of figured that I would have to test for myself with both 3mm and 4mm as OPENB suggested. I appreciate the information from both of you and have placed both sizes in my TTI cart. I think I will go ahead and order the spring and follower system as well.

Thanks again.