Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Bagellord

Carry Optics - new guide rod sticks out a little in battery

So I bought a new guide rod that someone had linked on here, for my 5 inch M&P 2.0. It's actually a Glock guide rod, but it does actually work. The issue is that it sticks out a little.

D7 21.1 says "Any “internal” modifications which result in a visible change to the external appearance of the gun when it is in battery REMAIN PROHIBITED unless specifically allowed by the plain language herein."

But then 21.5 says "Guide rods are considered an “internal part” and may be modified and/or replaced with OFM or after-market guide rods even though part of the guide rod is externally visible when the gun is in battery. Note that the weight limits in D7, Item18 remain in force and relevant."

So to me, it seems that I am okay. Thoughts?

guide rod.jpg

I would think you’re good to go. Local matches would never question it, my only concern would be a major match where if someone questioned it, I believe you’d be shooting open if the decision went against you. 

14 minutes ago, dapribek said:

I would think you’re good to go. Local matches would never question it, my only concern would be a major match where if someone questioned it, I believe you’d be shooting open if the decision went against you. 

Well I am shooting nationals this year, so I need to be damned sure.

12 minutes ago, Sdlrodeo said:

Got a grinder?

I do not, but it is tungsten. Probably not the easiest to work with.

On 7/20/2019 at 9:09 AM, NickBlasta said:

21.5 says you're good.

Agreed

now to make a 12" long guide rod for my GLOCK and see how long it takes to get a rule changed

On 7/20/2019 at 9:12 AM, Bagellord said:

I do not, but it is tungsten. Probably not the easiest to work with.

Take a cutoff wheel in a dremel to it if you like. It’ll cut just fine.

Posted (edited)

From the (apparently contradictory) wording of the rules, I'd say its a 50:50 call. As the rod is tungsten, the extra weight will be seen as an advantage, especially out there where there is the greatest gain in moment of inertia. What if it protruded 1"? 2"? 6"? At some point, an RM is gonna call it. Do you want to risk shooting Open at Nationals? If it were my gun, I'd remove the excess with a Dremel cutoff wheel.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Measure the length of the old Guide Rod and then cut the new one to the same length. You will notice ZERO difference with it being slightly shorter and all of your "Is it legal" worries go away.

Thanks for the feedback. After shooting it over the weekend and noticing no difference, I am going to sell it to a friend who has a Glock that can use it, he's got the factory guide rod in it now I believe. So maybe it'll be worth it for him.

8 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

From the (apparently contradictory) wording of the rules, I'd say its a 50:50 call. As the rod is tungsten, the extra weight will be seen as an advantage, especially out there where there is the greatest gain in moment of inertia. What if it protruded 1"? 2"? 6"? At some point, an RM is gonna call it. Do you want to risk shooting Open at Nationals? If it were my gun, I'd remove the excess with a Dremel cutoff wheel.

It is specifically authorized. There is nothing to worry about

13 hours ago, NickBlasta said:

It is specifically authorized. There is nothing to worry about

thumb_yeah-well-thats-justlike-your-opin