Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting x5 grip weight.

egldriver

I was able to get a 320 x5 legion. So far so good shoots flat like a 1911. Good trigger about 3 1/4 lbs with a pretty clean break. I primarily shoot idpa esp so the stock gun is a little over the 43 oz limit. I took out the grip weight and now it’s under now problem. It occurred to me if I could neatly trim some of the grip weight off I could get it right at or a little under 43 oz. it feels a little nose heavy without the grip weight but still balances nicely. So good or bad idea to neatly trim the weight?

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Is the grip weight steel or tungsten? If it is a tungsten, get a P320X5 steel one which should be half the weight. If it is steel you could cut a channel in it in a milling machine. Thanks, Eric

No need to be so fancy. A notch ground into it with an ordinary grinding wheel would work just fine.

I cut the grip weight just below the rubber retainer and beveled the edges. The gun is now at 42.99 oz with a 43 oz limit. Probably too close for a sanctioned match so I will either bevel some more or drill a hole or two. The metal is very soft so easy to cut. I think it is important to bevel the edges so there is no interference with the mag going in.

Have you removed the magwell, or is that something you're wanting to keep on the pistol? If the weights you gave in the original post are with the magwell installed you could probably cut all the weight you need to by simply removing it. When I shot my X5 in production it still loaded plenty smooth without the magwell.