Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comstock scoring question

Stafford

OK, I get that you can shoot a target multiple times in order to improve a score. But, I take it that a hit on black is still counted as a miss, correct?

And what about steel, if you miss it and keep firing until you hit it, are your misses counted?

No and no. As long as you have two hits in a scoring area, the hits in hard cover no longer matter. They are only counted as misses if you do not make up the shots. Same goes for steel. You can take as many shots as needed to knock them over. The extra shots do not count as misses. 

Oh, and Oh! Then in my first match, I had a few more misses than I realized. I thought a couple of extra shots on steel and a make-up or two when I knew I had hit black, counted against me. In that case, I missed more than I realized. In any event, I was waaaay to slow in between targets. But my main focus was not on DQ’ing so, from that standpoint, it was a success.

I also shot a stock G22 in Limited Major after deciding not to shoot my G17 in Production first time out. From now on, I’ll shoot the G17 in Limited Minor, save money on ammo, and focus on accuracy and then speed. And once I show improvements, I’ll decide if I want to go to Production with the 17 or put some add ons to the 22 and stay in Limited.

2 hours ago, dthomas1003 said:

No and no. As long as you have two hits in a scoring area, the hits in hard cover no longer matter. They are only counted as misses if you do not make up the shots. Same goes for steel. You can take as many shots as needed to knock them over. The extra shots do not count as misses. 

The hits in hardcover don't "count" as anything.  They basically don't exist. 

You're scored with either one or two misses ("Mikes") for the brown scoring target if there aren't two scorable hits on it. 

1 hour ago, Stafford said:

I also shot a stock G22 in Limited Major after deciding not to shoot my G17 in Production first time out. From now on, I’ll shoot the G17 in Limited Minor, save money on ammo, and focus on accuracy and then speed. And once I show improvements, I’ll decide if I want to go to Production with the 17 or put some add ons to the 22 and stay in Limited.

Very sound and wise plan.

21 minutes ago, Stafford said:

Or spend the cash and buy a tricked out 2011 and jump straight to Open next week. Just kidding!

now, that's a plan!

oh and instead of not being focused on dq'ing, you should be focused on not dq'ing...  ahahaha.  we know what you meant.

and congrats on jumping in, and staying safe your first match!

I’m guessing this happens sometimes, or a lot... a new shooter jumps into USPSA and goes straight to Open with an expensive, modified pistol. I can see it happening because there is an allure to get a tricked out gun. My issue is that I’m not mechanically inclined, don’t want to build, tune, and tinker, and just want to shoot. Which is why I find myself sticking with Glocks.... for now.