Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RN 147 as accurate as FN?

Sandbagger123

shot a lot of coated 147 FN lately.  very accurate out of my gun. the negative is that i have to load them a little short.   thinking of getting some 147 gr RN coated .  So are they as accurate as a flat nose?

Edited by Sandbagger123

What gun are you shooting them out of? Have you considered having the chamber throated to let you load a little longer?

Walthers have short chambers so I’ve cut all of mine to let them take any 147 out to 1.150” without any loss of accuracy. Had to have a special hardened reamer made, but it was worth it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

3 hours ago, AHI said:

If you have to load FN short . Round nose will be even shorter.

Have one gun that has a noticeable preference for flat over round.

Not always if the meplat is the same and the flat nose is just a cut off of the tip then the RN will be that portion longer.

But RN & FN are usually accurate, or inaccurate, based on other characteristics.  I.e. conformity of the base, voids in the bullet, bullet diameter or various other issues.

JHP's are usually the most accurate, and according to an engineer buddy it is, due to the forming of the JHP forcing the base to be square and free of voids.

But as with anything with as many variables as are involved with handgun accuracy, there are always exceptions.