Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unusual malfunction.

Jps42

I am having a unusual malfunction with my gen 3 Glock 22. It’s happening throughout all of my mags randomly. The gun is set up the following way. 

Gen 3 Glock 22

lone wolf barrel 

sjc frame weight

15 pound recoil spring

DK trigger 

Taylor freelance base pads-springs are less then a month old. 

I have attached some pictures. Any ideas what the cause of this is?

http://s1084.photobucket.com/user/jps52/library/Glock 22

Is it really hard or easy to fix this malfunction?

If it is really hard to undo, it is similar to a malfunction I had with a Lone Wolf conversion barrel and one kind of 9 mm ammunition. Everything else, four or five brands, fed well except this one brand and it was consistently a disaster. It would not go into battery and I couldn’t pull the slide back to eject the round. Had to strip out the magazine and bang the pistol on the counter, shake it, try to rack the slide and after a few minutes the round finally fell out. I thought it was a tight chamber.

So most of the time is isn’t even fully in the chamber. It’s also happening some with reloads and some with factory. I have a regional Saturday. So I’m trying to figure out something to get it feeding reliably by then. 

Is the slide missing the rim? If so maybe your magazine latch is wearing out and your mags aren't sitting quite high enough? 

Or maybe it's not cycling fully? I read in another thread at one point that the frame weight might squeeze the frame weird and affect cycling.

How consistent is the malfunction?

I'm not a competitor, just a non-professional smith.

1)  OEM spring weight, or are you running heavier/lighter weights?  When were they last replaced?

2)  Mag catch, as mentioned.  Check it for spring function, and is it intact.

3)  How "hot" are your loads? 

4)  The bit of mag I can see looks well-worn.  All worn about the same?  How many rounds?  Mag lips (metal) flared any?

5)  Have you successfully used this barrel before?  Do you see bullet nose-marks on the ramp (you shouldn't)?

Short version:  The first suspect is mag height.  Are the rounds elevated enough to reliably enter the chamber(mag catch & barrel)? Second is short-stroking.  The slide is moving too fast/too slow, and not catching the round properly(loads & springs). Third is round positioning.  If your mag lips are bent in or flared, the round will nose into the ramp and kick up or if the nose is too high, the nose will hit the top of the chamber. This can also happen if the ramp is a bit long, and catches the round early. If your chamber is tight or not polished enough, this will lock you up.

All magazines are less then a month old. Wolf extra power springs. New mag release. New recoil spring/rod@15 pounds. 173 power factor loads. I’m leaning towards the frame weight/*thumb rest [generic]*. I don’t have the frame bushing for the *thumb rest [generic]*, and I’m thinking i may be enduring frame flex, because I drive down pretty hard. I also may have the frame weight too tight and am squeezing the frame in. Based on some reading I have done on Glock 22 gen 3 and weapon mounted light issues. 

The malfunction used to only be the last round of the magazine. But yesterday it was almost every 3-4 rounds. Additionally, I can not recreate the malfunction hand cycling the gun. Regardless of mag capacity. Even trying to hand cycle it and short stroke it. It feeds 100%. Which is why I am wondering about frame flex 

Edited by Jps42

Does your slide lock to the rear when you fire your last shot? 

If not, and I'm guessing from the pics, your slide is not going fully to the rear, or it is cycling too quickly to allow the next round to fully rise up before the slide slams forward. 

I wouldn't think that a 15# recoil spring would cause that, but perhaps your recoil spring rod is preventing full slide cycling, or the recoil spring is too long (or too strong).  Try an OEM recoil spring and rod and see if your problem goes away.  

52 minutes ago, Jps42 said:

I basically have till tomorrow night to try to get running better. So I’m all ears. 

Take all that aftermarket junk off and then I bet it'll work 😉. Then after this match you can try adding those parts back on 1 at a time testing each, until the gun stops working and you can ID which aftermarket part was causing the malfunctions. 

Then use a more powerful load. Your slide is most likely short stroking for some reason, either a weak load, stiff spring, or something interfering with slide movement (could be your weight or finger contact from your grip. If you changed something, change it back. 

The other possibilities are weak magazine springs or loads that bind up in the mag (too long). 

1 hour ago, Jps42 said:

All magazines are less then a month old. Wolf extra power springs. New mag release. New recoil spring/rod@15 pounds. 173 power factor loads. I’m leaning towards the frame weight/*thumb rest [generic]*. I don’t have the frame bushing for the *thumb rest [generic]*, and I’m thinking i may be enduring frame flex, because I drive down pretty hard. I also may have the frame weight too tight and am squeezing the frame in. Based on some reading I have done on Glock 22 gen 3 and weapon mounted light issues. 

The malfunction used to only be the last round of the magazine. But yesterday it was almost every 3-4 rounds. Additionally, I can not recreate the malfunction hand cycling the gun. Regardless of mag capacity. Even trying to hand cycle it and short stroke it. It feeds 100%. Which is why I am wondering about frame flex 

Change back to the OLD ones, and see if the problem goes away...  

7 minutes ago, Jps42 said:

And it worked for the past 4K rounds...

Ah, that's new information. So what changed? Just new mags and mag release and it worked 100% prior to that? What happened to the old mags?

Also, you said you're using Wolff extra power mag springs, are those the ones advertised as +10% power springs? If so, I think those are still meant to be used on factory capacity mags with no extension, not in 140mm mags.

So that’s the weird part. It is the exact same mags. I have only had the gun a little over a month with all these components. It was based on a LEO trade in 22. And then I replaced all the parts. The magazine springs are the ones that came with the base pads. I believe they are made by wolf. But I could be mistaken. 

My plan for this afternoon is to try the following 

OEM recoil spring 

13# recoil spring

removing the *thumb rest [generic]*

loosening the frame weight

removing frame weight

factory ammo

Additionally, my current loads are on the long side. At 1.153-1.155. However I could not get my loads to feed at all at 1.135-1.145. I believe this is due to the Ogive it the bullet I was using. I will pick up some factory and make sure to try that as well. 

Ah ok. Yeah I'd try removing thumb rest and frame weight and see if that fixes it. It should work with loads at 1.135", that's what I normally load to. If it won't then there's definitely something wrong with at least one of those aftermarket parts. 

I know the barrel has a tight chamber. The Bullets I’m useinf are at .401 diameter and are from DG Bullets. I will not be purchasing again. My extreme spread on weight is over 6.5 grains. Which I find un acceptable. 

Edited by Jps42

• 4 weeks later...

It was all in the mag springs. I tried all the mags made for 140mm springs. Some would work at first. Then 300-500 rounds in. It would happen again. I am now using ISMI 170mm GL2 springs we full length. And I can still get 19 rounds relodable in the mag. I may later on play with using and trimming OEM 33 round mag springs. But for now the ISMI 170mm are working great. 

So I honestly haven’t found it to be a disadvantage. Now I have shot a Glock in production and 3 gun for 7+ years. And it’s also my carry gun of choice. With a empty mag I’m at 54 ounces, and I ended up kinda combining certain element of the DK trigger and the Vanek. And it feels great and breaks right around 2.7 pounds on a 10 pull average. The gun shoot flats and since I figured out the spring issue. I haven’t had a single malfunction 

10 minutes ago, Jps42 said:

So I honestly haven’t found it to be a disadvantage. Now I have shot a Glock in production and 3 gun for 7+ years. And it’s also my carry gun of choice. With a empty mag I’m at 54 ounces, and I ended up kinda combining certain element of the DK trigger and the Vanek. And it feels great and breaks right around 2.7 pounds on a 10 pull average. The gun shoot flats and since I figured out the spring issue. I haven’t had a single malfunction 

You have Glock that weighs 54 ounces?!? My steel grip 2011 weighed 54 ounces.

What does the case rim look like for the spent piece of brass that is still in the gun? My guess..... is that the spent case is being pulled back out of the chamber and the extractor lets go of it before the ejector shoots it out. The slide, which I suspect isn't fully cycling (and could be part of the problem) then comes forward and shoves the chase downward and locks up the slide as we see in the pictures. What might be causing a failure to cycle fully or extract/eject properly?