Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How picky are you with your case gauge/ammo?

Silverscooby27

1 hour ago, Silverscooby27 said:

And don’t put their hands in their mouths or rub their eyes which is pretty much impossible, but I’m not here to tell you how to raise your kids.

Yes of course. There is an entire "procedure " we go through, supervised, that makes it fun for them.

I case gauge everything in the Hundo and set any issue aside for practice. Over this year all that didn’t pass the Hundo still ran perfectly for practice. For the Mississippi Classic I used new Starline Brass I had laying around for extra insurance. 

Gauge everything. I only reject the ones that leave any extractor groove up. My guns will chamber way worse. 

Eta: don't shoot open, didn't catch the forum.

Edited by Beef15

3 hours ago, Posvar said:

I used new Starline Brass I had laying around for extra insurance. 

I read, here, a few years ago, that the danger of using New Brass in a match is

that some new brass may not have a perfect primer hole - they suggested it

is better to fire off a light load thru the new brass, and then use that for

matches, rather than using the brand new brass.   

FWIW, if it doesn't fit a Shockbottle hundo, the round is larger than SAAMI maximum spec for that round.

That said, most chambers are cut larger than minimum, so very often rounds that don't quite fit the gauge will chamber and fire fine (If a whole lot of rounds you make don't quite gauge, but stick out just a little and can sometimes be pushed in further, look to your crimp.  90% of the time I get dummy rounds in to check for people that are having problems, they still have some flare on the case mouth...)

9x19 has been made all over the planet for 100+ years and shot in everything from subguns to match guns, so it's not too surprising there's a lot of variation there.

Now I reload range-pickup 9 all the time without a whole lot of care to it and so what I do for local matches is gauge them and those that don't stick out very far I know are good to go from previous experience, so I'll use them.  Majors I care about get new brass.  I leave the decap pin in to avoid missing flash holes.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I read, here, a few years ago, that the danger of using New Brass in a match is

that some new brass may not have a perfect primer hole - they suggested it

is better to fire off a light load thru the new brass, and then use that for

matches, rather than using the brand new brass.   

Using new brass, Ideally you are safest to load the round as you expect to use it in a match, fire it once in practice, ensure it runs in your gun, reload that truly once fired brass, case gauge, and use that for your match.