Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please critique my draw (holster moving around)

thormx538

The basics: I'm wearing a CR Speed inner and outer, holster is a RHT with the retention set just enough to have a 'click', and it sits on a BOSS hanger. I'm wearing golf shorts which are a pretty soft and don't offer much in terms of support, but I do have the inner belt cinched tight.

As you can see in the video, the gun and holster tend to move together and pivot towards my body around the belt, before clearing.

I think there are multiple factors -- the shorts I'm wearing, and my technique. I had never gotten slow-mo video of my draw before this, but friends were commenting that my draw "looked bad today" (this is the first time I've worn these shorts with this gun/holster/hanger combo). I'm a C level shooter. I can't tell if my wrist rotation is causing the holster to pull rotate like it is, or if that is happening as a result of the holster retention and belt/short combo causing that to occur before the gun breaks free.

I think at a minimum I need to get some video of the same rig in jeans to rule the shorts in/out.

Edited by thormx538

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

How tight is your belt? I cinch my rig up real tight to make things more solid.

As tight as it goes, around my hip bones. I can squeeze a finger or two between my belt and hip bone but it's uncomfortable.

That said, I don't have much above the belt these days to catch it, haha. That's what got me thinking about the shorts and how little support they have, versus jeans or something where I can't hike them up anywhere near as easily.

1 hour ago, Matt1911 said:

Getting rid of the dropped offset hanger solved the problem for me.

Theres too much flex when it sits that low. 

ditto,

be safe.

Edited by Max It

5 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Same set up. I let gravity be the only thing that keeps the gun in place, screws just tight enough so gun does not rattle around much.

this. loosen the screws and try again

• 4 months later...

you are pulling your strong hand into your waist which is causing the holster to tip at an odd angle. Dry fire more to pull STRAIGHT up out of the holster. It won't matter where the hanger is or if you use one or not if you are not drawing STRAIGHT UP out of the holster first.