Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference between SS and LTD Peak Times

RickT

I've started to enter LTD with my stock 1911 since there are more entries in that division (few at the local level due to the number of rimfire shooters).  Prior to considering the change my bucket list (I'm 73) had included making "A".  Now in reality I'm not going to have my classification engraved on my ash urn, but you've got to have something to shoot for so to speak.

Obviously, it's going to be harder to do so in LTD and I'm wondering how much of the 1 second difference in peak times is attributable to the holster.  Looking at a 2016 thread there were several comments about a 0.2 second or so difference between draw time conventional holster versus race holster.  If it's the consensus hereabouts that a good deal of the difference is holster related all things being equal than I'll stick with SS.  I have nothing against race holsters, but I don't want to compete with a rig that is so far removed from my EDC.  I've recently made changes to my draw which have sped things up and greatly improved my draw target index; I don't want to do any "software" rewrites.  FWIW, why is the peak time difference for Outer Limits 1.0 seconds; seems like it should be 0.67 seconds.

I think there may be other factors involved as well.  For example, SS has a max weight of 43 ounces, where limited has no weight restriction.  Also the holster position limitation is not present in Limited. I think these things also account for some of the difference. 

Yep, allowed weight of the gun is a biggie.  If you are one of those shooting a 1911 very flat (whether it's you or your load or your spring or a combo) then there is less advantage for the Limited guy.  Holster position, probably just a little.  A lot of guys draw very fast out of a non-race single stack legal holster.

And hopefully you're shooting low pf ammo out of either. My few SS runs in steel challenge were with full power, 180pf, 45acp ammo.

I'd say it is a combo of the gun differences, holster differences and how people haven't pushed the SS peak times down at national and world level compared to Lim.

15 hours ago, RickT said:

I've started to enter LTD with my stock 1911 since there are more entries in that division (few at the local level due to the number of rimfire shooters).  Prior to considering the change my bucket list (I'm 73) had included making "A".  Now in reality I'm not going to have my classification engraved on my ash urn, but you've got to have something to shoot for so to speak.

Obviously, it's going to be harder to do so in LTD and I'm wondering how much of the 1 second difference in peak times is attributable to the holster.  Looking at a 2016 thread there were several comments about a 0.2 second or so difference between draw time conventional holster versus race holster.  If it's the consensus hereabouts that a good deal of the difference is holster related all things being equal than I'll stick with SS.  I have nothing against race holsters, but I don't want to compete with a rig that is so far removed from my EDC.  I've recently made changes to my draw which have sped things up and greatly improved my draw target index; I don't want to do any "software" rewrites.  FWIW, why is the peak time difference for Outer Limits 1.0 seconds; seems like it should be 0.67 seconds.

To my knowledge there has been no physical nor equipment considerations ever given to the peak times.  Peak times are based on competitor times recorded at major matches.  Single stack was one of two divisions (from memory the other was a revolver division) without an alteration in peak times for 2019 soley because there had not been enough major match participation nor time differences in the division compared to the others.  Information was there were not enough times recorded in major matches to identify a change, so it was left alone while other divisions, including limited were lowered for 2019.  The peak times are based completely on what times are turned in at major matches.  Many opinions or subjective considerations could certainly be thought up, but its all based on actual times.  I would actually attempt to get the single stack A either first or, if your club allows you to shoot two divisions in a match, at the same time shooting both divisions with the same gun.  More practice that way too.

From my personal experience, the race holster mixed with a single stack gun is not that much different than a good single stack rig; such as a good kydex with a Boss hanger.  In the end, the amount of practice given to each pretty much evens out with the same person.  Sure, Max Michel or BJ Norris may be a fraction of a second different, and they are the ones settiing the high end of the peak times, but none of us are them nor will we likely have a noticable change from one to the other.  Put the practice time in with the holster.  Dry fire practice is key.  NOT MISSING and TRANSISTIONS should be the focused considerations before cutting hairs on equipment or even draw times.  Let the draw improve as you focus on those things. 

Best of luck! 

Edited by Hammer002