Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Mags - 30 round w/ +6 baseplate or just use 40 round PMAGs?

ClangClang

I've been mulling over equipment choices for magazines. Is there any advantage to using a 30 round PMAG with an extended baseplate vs. just grabbing a 40 round PMAG?  From my own testing, both are equally reliable.

I can think of 2 main advantages of using a 30 rounder with a +6 baseplate:

• Slightly heavier weight for (theoretically) marginally faster mag drops
  • Still manageable when dropping to prone. 40 rounder could be too long.

I can think of only 1 big advantage for going with 40 round pmags:

• Significantly cheaper
  • Higher capacity, if you really want 40+ rounds on tap

Anything else I'm missing? I'm not necessarily asking which is better, I just want to make sure I understand all the implications so I can make the most informed decision depending on the match/stage/CoF.

Magazines are one of the few things you're allowed to change during a match to best fit a stage. So the key is to have several of all shapes and sizes.

90% of the time I use a 40 with TTI basepad for a total of 46. 30+ round stages with no prone are very common and by the time you have a couple make-ups and the 60 yard auto popper makes a fool of you you'll be glad for those extra rounds.

Next up is the D60. For the big stages, and it makes a decent prone monopod when needed in the middle of said big stage. Sometimes I use it when I see a 50 yard plate rack because all the extra weight adds stability.

30 rounders have only gotten used when I have to run a long ways with a slung rifle and then shoot a few rounds, because it stays put in my mag pouch and doesn't flop around like a 40 or D60.

Coupled 30's are used for table starts to have the gun standing up waiting for me when I get there.

A very handy setup is my 20 and 30 rounder with a Taylor Freelance coupler. Having two different height magazines gives you options off of rooftops or when shooting prone at an uphill or downhill angle. The pads have an aggressive texture that bites into wood hard.

Then there's the 20 rounder that lives on my belt for emergencies, but it hasn't been used in a long time.

I don't know about your area but prone is so rare around here that I wouldn't base my considerations for primary mag choices on it. Just have one of each and choose on a case by case basis.

Edited by TonytheTiger

@TonytheTiger Fantastic insights! Thanks! I knew there was someone out there who had put a lot more thought into mags than I already have.

Coupled 30's are used for table starts to have the gun standing up waiting for me when I get there.

This is evil genius.

9 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

90% of the time I use a 40 with TTI basepad for a total of 46.

Next up is the D60.

Great info for someone getting into AR (me) - but, one silly question (as usual):

Why not use the D60 90% of the time ?

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Great info for someone getting into AR (me) - but, one silly question (as usual):

Why not use the D60 90% of the time ?

Probably because the D60 kinda sucks to load, and secondly because the 46 is plenty of capacity cushion for most stages and is noticeably lighter than a full D60.

Another option I use for coupled mags is the MBX base pads. I have a 30 and 40 that I can couple together and add the wings to mono pod off of. I like that system as I can change out and the mags don't have to stay coupled together. I also added some grip tape to the bottom to add some grip. But every thing Tony said is spot on. I'd pick up a wide assortment of mags and configurations. May seem silly to some, but you never know what you may need.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk