Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 3, light strikes in double action

Kraj

I have been using this stock 3 for past two years. I put all the cool parts in it when i first got it, no issues, and just shot it and changed springs until now. The last couple matches ive started having to pull the double action 2 or 3 times to get it to go off. Single action has always worked fine. At first I thought it needed to be cleaned, didn't help. Replaced the hammer and firing pin springs, didn't help. Removed the firing pin block, didn't help. Today I took out the bolo and put back in the factory interrupter and had 20/20 go off in double action. The only fitting I did on the bolo was removing .007 off the bottom to try to fix this problem. In double action the hammer goes back .08 farther than before but that didn't fit the issue. Ammo is using federal primers sitting .015 ish below flush.

I have  a new sear spring on the way to see if that makes a difference. Both the bolo and the trigger bar don't appear to have any obvious wear that would be the problem.

Right now im leaning towards ordering a new bolo, because taking that out eliminated the problem. Anyone better at this than me have any ideas I should look into?

Stock 3

-Bolo

-1 piece sear

-extended firing pin block

-titan hammer

-henning firing pin

-12 lb pd hammer spring

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TLzzzUyC9EjqjFM67 - trigger bar

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ybA7mYrp9mUymyum9 - bolo

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7NEvPe9xBeod4ooU7

3 hours ago, Polymer said:

Your sear completely clearing hammer hooks in double action? Over travel screw move any?

The over travel screw is out of the way. Ill double check the sear after work with the bolo, but it looks good with the factory interrupter

Edited by Kraj

29 minutes ago, tdp88 said:

With your current set up, what is the failure rate on DA?

From the time it started being an issue probably 75% of the time its more than one strike

Same primers as before?  I couldn't get mine reliable with anything lighter then the 14lb PD hammer spring.  If your going to get a new BOLO anyway, I'd take more off of the underside and see if it allows the hammer to go back further in DA.  Odd that this would just start showing up after several years...

Personally I think 12lb spring is a bit too light. I use the PD 15.5 and get a 6.5 lb DA (Stock 2) with their bolo.

I also seat primers as deep as they will go with 9mm Federal, minimally twice as deep as yours. 

This set up have yielded zero problems, 100% reliability,  with the DA.

My opinion is:

Heavier hammer spring and deeper set primers will solve your failure to fire issue. 

100% at 6.5 DA/ 2.5 SA is far superior to knocking off 1/2 pound from the trigger weight. But it’s my preference and yours may be different. 

Now my limited, no DA, uses a lighter spring and also has 100% reliability, but that’s a different game plan than shooting production and CO.

Hope you get it where you want. 

Agree with the above: I’d toss a 15.5lb spring in it and be done with issues. That’s what I ran in my equivalently set up gun when it would eat CCI Magnum primers like candy.

You’re talking probably 1.0-1.5 pounds of DA weight and no discernable difference in single action. You won’t notice it when the timer is running at all, only when slowfiring it at the bench. And it’ll run for thousands of rounds like that, and still be reliable as things wear.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

When I tried the lightened Henning firing pin I had issues in DA with a 14lb hammer spring.  Went back to the stock firing pin and ZERO issues since, PD offers a heavier and extended firing pin if needed.

Stock3

PD reduced trigger spring

PD reduced sear spring

PD 14lb hammer spring

BOLO

Titan Hammer

1pc sear

OEM trigger bar spring

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You’re talking probably 1.0-1.5 pounds of DA weight and no discernable difference in single action. You won’t notice it when the timer is running at all, only when slowfiring it at the bench. And it’ll run for thousands of rounds like that, and still be reliable as things wear.

If he is shooting deep seated federals, agreed it is a personal preference thing, but #10 will do it if you remember to freshen the hammer spring after the first time it takes a second snap in double action (once he fixes whatever the problem that is). If I wanted to burn cheaper primers I would go to the 15.5 and not fret about it though, except on those one handed after the draw classifiers because I stink pulling d.a. one handed. 

Went to a #12 in my match gun and am curious to see if I will ever need to change it. For dry fire I like the #10 just because I can do a whole lot of snaps before I get to rubber finger. 

I have a variety pack with all the spring weights coming with the sear spring, so I'll see if that makes a difference but I ran a 10 pound spring with the same primers and never had a problem. Should be here Thursday.