Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom MPX recoil cushion in Gen3?

Hello. Are any Gen 3 MPX shooters running a Taccom recoil cushion? I am only familiar with the Gen 3 bolt and was told that the Gen 2, when the recoil cushion was designed, has a somewhat different profile on the contact point at the rear of the bolt. For those who might be using one have you noticed advantages or any disadvanages over the stock setup? Thanks.

It will work but not advisable. There’s no discernible difference I noticed when I used my gen 2 lower (which has the taccom wave spring recoil assembly) on my gen 3 upper. I only used it in this configuration twice just to check out of curiosity.

The gen 3 bolt is different compared to the gen 2 in such a way that the gen 3 recoil pad (it’s tapered unlike the gen 2) actually goes into the rear end of the bolt carrier group about 1/8” in. This locks it up and prevents wiggling of the BCG during recoil. 

The taccom wave spring recoil pad is not tapered and doesn’t go into the rear end of the BCG. It bumps into the rear end of the BCG and since the gen 3 BCG’s rear end cutout is actually bigger compared to the gen 2’s BCG, there’s a chance it might slipped or get cockeyed during recoil.

I've been running the buffer in my Gen3 without any ill effect(other than the added difficulty of removing and putting the upper and lower back together).  Doesn't appear to be wearing in any strange places or anything.  Won't pretend I notice a huge difference in felt recoil since it's pretty light anyway, but my dot does seem more stable with it.  While I concur with the mentioned geometry changes, the Taccom buffer makes full contact with the back of the carrier despite it being more opened up(doesn't fit into the carrier on the edges or anything like that),and is compressed along the screw shaft, which should keep the buffer itself on a straight path.  The carrier is closed in on all sides by the receiver and attached to the guide rods above it.  Not sure I see how anything is going to wiggle or get cockeyed.  Ultimately, it should pretty much interface with the carrier just like it did with the Gen2.  Did it have a habit of causing movement in any direction other than straight back in those?