Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Stjs45

Is this un-burned powder?!?

I worked up my MAJOR PISTOL load in my CK as recommended instead of the WAC i was using. Looks like I will be about 9.6 gr. to get 172PF instead of the 6.7 of WAC. I feel a quicker smaller kick, but still not the infamous “dot not getting out of the glass” unicorn some of y’all talk about. (Jk)

My question is are the pictures below un burnt powder? I obviously worked my way up and could have been some of the higher loads I tested. But unsure if that is what that is. Thnx y’all. 

C53E1521-F8A1-42E3-8F43-76452D4786A4.jpeg

2D7423BC-E2B9-44D7-8C09-ADEE6E906E7A.jpeg

74C0151A-AB30-40CF-BA82-B2106B52CB92.jpeg

I get similar residue in my gun from HS6. Which people say is a somewhat dirty powder. But it just wipes off. I usually keep a microfiber cloth handy and keep my gun pretty oiled up. I wipe it off every 300 rounds or so. Or after every match. Mainly the chamber and feedramp area and put more oil on it.

48 minutes ago, Explosiveo said:

I get similar residue in my gun from HS6. Which people say is a somewhat dirty powder. But it just wipes off. I usually keep a microfiber cloth handy and keep my gun pretty oiled up. I wipe it off every 300 rounds or so. Or after every match. Mainly the chamber and feedramp area and put more oil on it.

I just started loading with hs6 as well and have noticed the same thing.

At 9.6 you must be loading 115 gr bullets, in my gun I load  8.2 with 124 gr. I still have some of the same but looks less than your pict.

Not necessarily unburned powder, but it is normal.  That's what some call the "corn meal" residual.  AA#7 is even worse.  I went back to Autocomp due to what you are seeing, and the fact that AC doesn't "spill" during reloading.

3 hours ago, Dan4147 said:

I went back to Autocomp due to what you are seeing, and the fact that AC doesn't "spill" during reloading.

Amen     :cheers:

11 hours ago, Dan4147 said:

Not necessarily unburned powder, but it is normal.  That's what some call the "corn meal" residual.  AA#7 is even worse.  I went back to Autocomp due to what you are seeing, and the fact that AC doesn't "spill" during reloading.

Second this. I use AA#7 and after 400 rounds my guns are full of this stuff. Still run great though. 

Cornmeal......perfect!!....we all must get some!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TANFARM said:

Cornmeal......perfect!!....we all must get some!

It’s great for frying veggies!

I only use N340 per my gun manufacturers recommendation and it’s very very clean and no cornmeal or residue.

Edited by Posvar

Never really noticed that with HS6 but AA7 and Shooters World Major Pistol I have seen it. It never caused any problems, I do use plenty of oil though.

On 7/18/2019 at 7:08 PM, Posvar said:

It’s great for frying veggies!

I only use N340 per my gun manufacturers recommendation and it’s very very clean and no cornmeal or residue.

Out of curiosity, are you having any issues with compression?