Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check your mags before a match

MustangMan

I couple weeks ago I was shooting a local 3 gun match, got to a stage realized that after my last dry fire session I never removed my dummy rounds and just loaded live ammo over top of them. After the 3rd failure to fire I realized what I had done and swapped mags. I felt like an idiot, I immediately stripped all of the rounds out of the mags before the next stage and reloaded them completely with live ammo.

Saturday I was through my first stage, which had minimum 12 rounds (I shoot IPSC production, can load 15 in a mag). Being the first stage I took it smooth and easy, until after the 10th round i got this very unusual slide lock malfunction. I quickly corrected it by hitting the slide release. Well, obvious solutions are not always the best ones... as I found out when the hammer went down without the resulting bang. When it finally dawned on me, I discarded the empty mag, reloaded and shot the two final shots.

What had happened: I am used to reload magazines in 5-round batches, precisely not to mess up the count. I can normally count to three to get to 15 rounds, but in the instance 3 was actually 2, so 15 rounds became 10!

It is also a little silly but my Stock 2 magazines have a witness hole on the 16th round. When I load 15, only a tiny part of the follower shows through the hole, and unless direct light shines through the hole, it is not easy to guess the loading level... I may start loading 16, check the hole and discard one 

It's amazing how many "little things" we have to remember, at speed, in this game.

And forgetting any one of the myriad details will result in a poor performance.

But, that's where the practice and competition are good - instill some good

procedures.

Shooting single stack and had first mag and barney mag in pocket. At the beep stepped into shooting area and engaged several targets. Moving to a port, dropped mag and had 0 additional mags on belt. Normally someone would notice and give someone a heads up, but not this time.

Shooting single stack and had first mag and barney mag in pocket. At the beep stepped into shooting area and engaged several targets. Moving to a port, dropped mag and had 0 additional mags on belt. Normally someone would notice and give someone a heads up, but not this time.

• 2 weeks later...

You have no idea how often we had this happen at our matches but it was most common with shotguns.  People would have a dummy round or two that they would leave in the gun from practice and on the first stage it would totally throw off the whole plan.  It gets them out of place on their stage plan and then the gun locks open and a round falls out.  We had a few new people stop they thought the gun was broken.  

• 3 months later...

I have done the same thing put my empty mags back in my mag pouch and started the next stage with one empty mag and one less than halfway full .

So I learned a lesson I carry my used mags back to my shooting bag leave them there until I reload them. And also I stopped multi tasking and took care of me first .

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Bkreutz said:

Wouldn't be grounds for a DQ even if they were live rounds. Sounds like a couple of RO's need to brush up on the rules.

Yes----it is a DQ.

10.5.13 Having a loaded firearm other than when specifically ordered to by the Range Officer.

Loaded firearm A firearm having a live round, empty case or dummy round in the chamber or cylinder or having a live or dummy round in a magazine inserted in the firearm.

52 minutes ago, Merldizzle said:

They talked about Dummy rounds coming out Of gun during make ready 

48 minutes ago, Bkreutz said:

Wouldn't be grounds for a DQ even if they were live rounds. Sounds like a couple of RO's need to brush up on the rules.

Under Appendix A3: Loaded firearm A firearm having a live round, empty case or dummy round in the chamber or cylinder or having a live or dummy round in a magazine inserted in the firearm.

Per Rule 10.5.13 "Having a loaded firearm other than when specifically ordered to by the Range Officer."

Dummy rounds are considered ammunition and if they magically appear at the "make ready" command, we are looking at a match DQ.

8 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

Huh? That’s having a loaded gun outside a COF. Clear DQ whether live or dummy rounds

11 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

Seems to me that it is you who needs to brush up on the rules....

• 4 weeks later...

Look at the original post, maybe I interpreted it wrong, he said he didn't unload the dummy rounds from the magazine, I'm assuming the magazine was not in the gun until he was given the "load and make ready" command, he said he loaded live round over the dummy rounds. So he came to the line with an empty gun, loaded a magazine that still had dummy rounds mixed in with live rounds. All the action he described happened during the course of fire so having dummy rounds was no different that having live (or dud) rounds. From what I read, he was never in the "having a loaded firearm outside the COF" condition. The original poster never said he got DQ'ed, that was a later post that never explained the situation. I was thinking about the original post.

On 11/6/2019 at 7:30 PM, 920webb said:

I have done the same thing put my empty mags back in my mag pouch and started the next stage with one empty mag and one less than halfway full .

So I learned a lesson I carry my used mags back to my shooting bag leave them there until I reload them. And also I stopped multi tasking and took care of me first .

I learned this the hard way, too.

Stepped up to my favorite classifier (Mini Mart).  Went Beep.  Bullets in the gun. Nothing in my belt.

In front of the club Prez and one of the area 7 head honchos, no less.  I wanted to crawl into my range bag and die.