Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon History

I picked up a couple of older Dillon presses, an RL 450 and a 450 jr, a while ago. On this forum, I've heard people talk about mythical older Dillon presses. Can someone post a brief history of dillon presses and timeline?

What was the genesis of the proprietary SDB dies? Why were they invented and still used? (I actually like them alot, just wondering)

Also, I've heard folks talk briefly about their 450 jrs. When were they made? People have mentioned that you can't get parts for them, and caliber conversions are non-existant. From what I've seen, it looks like they use the SDB dies and tool heads (though I admit I've never changed the dies on my 450 jr).

Thanks,

-John C

Approximate Short History.

1960s- Mike Dillon has a friend crash while flying one of Mike's Warbirds.Mike inherits a thompson Submachine gun, eventually acquires a Star reloader; all is well. Later, Mike buys an M-16 rifle- no conversion offered by Star, but by modifying a .380 ACP conversion, he is able to load 223 on the Star reloader. Sells some as the "Super Star" conversion.

Mike acquires a 1917 Browning Machine gun. No room to load 30-06 on a Star, so he creates the RL-1000 to be able to load rifle ammunition progressively. Begins to sell them to fellow Class 3 shooters, commercial loaders. Business grows out of his garage, creation of Dillon Precision Products.

Late 1970's- develop the RL-300, first affordable progressive loader generally available to public. less than 1000 sold, expensive to produce(BTW, no lifetime warranty on RL1000, RL-300. Few parts left for either.) About 1980, refine the RL-300 concept, introduce the RL-450. Less expensive, more reliable, first Dillon loader to have a lifetime warranty.

January 1984- Dillon goes factory direct for sales.Price cut in half, sales beyond anyone's wildest expectations.

May 1985- RL-550 replaces the RL-450, offers detachable toolhead, case-activated powder measure, automatic priming system.

November, 1986- Introduction of the Square Deal- a smaller progressive reloader,

just for the common handgun cartridges. Uses proprietary drop-in insert dies, offers auto-indexing of the shellplate.

Late 1980s- Introduction of the RL 450 jr, a small progressive/single stage loader.The initial offering used a regular 7/8-14 die in station 1, and Square Deal dies in stations 2,3 &4. This allowd it to be used to load the common handgun calibers progressively, and rifle cartridges as a single stage. Eventually changed to use Square Deal dies exclusively in all four stations, limiting versatility. The 450 jr had no primer feed, primers were set in the seatting cup one at a time. The machine came with just a funnel to pour powder through, and could be equipped with an optional manual powder drop. The 450 jr was discontinued several years later.

Winter, 1989- RL1000 replaced by the RL1050.

1991-ish- Introduction of the XL650. Offers caliber change costs similar to the RL550, with auto-indexing, extra station for an optional powder check, a case feed tube and optional electric case feeder.

December, 2005- Case feeder becomes available for the RL550. :ph34r:

Thanks for that history, that's very cool.

Is the company owned privately? If so by whom (if anyone other than Mike Dillon)

December, 2005- Case feeder becomes available for the RL550.

That sounds like a prediction, not history:)

Anything you can share with us about the case feeder? :D

• 15 years later...
On 10/7/2020 at 6:23 PM, Sigarmsp226 said:

This was a great thread to bring back to the top after 15 years...Love reading the history of Dillon and how the company and machines were created...Mark

And it reminds me how long I've been reloading!  I think I was here when this post was started! LOL!!!

I started on a Lee progressive that had a spiral center shaft that kept stripping out.  After two or three times I dumped it for a 550B... Then added a 1050 and 650... sold the 550 and 650... Just use the 1050 with Mr. Bullet Feeder - I'm spoiled. :)

I started with the Dillon 300 and worked my up to 450, 550 and then a 650 with all the upgrades including a case and bullet feeder.  I've been very happy with Dillons for many years.

The 500 was best suited for Black Powder but for the life of my I can't remember why.  I'm going to have to find an old catalogue.  I keep their catalogues for the same reason I keep old playboys.  Oh yeah, the articles.