Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 extended firing pin

jonb.

I have a Shadow 2 that I shot for the first time at a match on Saturday. I experienced a few light strikes with an 11.5lb main spring so mid match I put the factory back in. Even after going back to stock I experienced 2 more light strikes. So I went back to the notes on my original shadow targets in the hopes I will be able to recreate what went right with that pistol. 

My target runs flawless with any and all primers and it has an extended firing pin and Rami firing pin spring as well as a 13lb mainspring. Since I had both guns apart I figured I would check to see if the extended firing pin from my original shadow would fit in my shadow 2 unfortunately it was snug and I didn't want to force it down. I went ahead and ordered from CZC a 12 and 13lb mainspring as well as the extended firing pin and rami firing pin spring. My question is what if any fitting is involved with a firing pin?

Not sure about fitting a firing pin. However, did the round fire after the second strike? If so, it’s a high primer if it’s a reloaded round.

Im using an 11.5# mainspring with an extended firing pin and reduced firing pin spring without any problems lighting of even CCI which is considered one of the hardest primers around.       

4 hours ago, jonb. said:

1. Federal and No way my primers are seated too high.

2. Had to rack the round out.

3. Single action 

Federals are well known for being soft and requiring a deep seat for lighter hammers. Next time try pulling trigger again instead of jacking the round out.  If it fires, the primer wasnt seated deep enough.

I have a CZ 75 with some trigger work.  With the 11.5# main spring, it will require a second hit on a high primer (Fiocci).  With the 8#, the primers had better be seated deep.

My S2 with an extended FP and 11.5# main spring has been pretty solid, but I have made sure my primers are .005-.008 deep. 

5 hours ago, jonb. said:

1. Federal and No way my primers are seated too high.

With a hammer-fired DA gun, flush primers are high primers.

The federal-primed ammo in the background was seated at “flush is good, right?” depths and wouldn’t run in my Tanfoglio.

The winchester-primed ammo in the foreground was seated .004”-.006” below flush and ran great despite having harder primers.

IMG_0473.thumb.JPG.42626a2711e28d260e9f0f9266b44d61.JPG

58 minutes ago, igolfat8 said:

MemphisMechanic, How can you seat a primer any deeper than the bottom of the primer pocket allows???

In my Dillon, I set the primer seating punch/cup higher from the primer slide so it can push the primer deeper into the primer pocket.

12 hours ago, George16 said:

In my Dillon, I set the primer seating punch/cup higher from the primer slide so it can push the primer deeper into the primer pocket.

Hmmm, I'll have to look at my Dillon presses. I wasn't aware that you could adjust the punch.

Yes, you can raise the primer punch a little bit higher and then just tighten the set screw to hold it in place. On a 550, normal range based on the manual is 1.215-1.220” from the base of the primer slide to the top of the primer cup. I just set the primer punch by a few thousandths higher making it (punch) and the cup seat higher and in turn enables them to set/push the primer deeper into the pocket.

9 minutes ago, igolfat8 said:

That’s an interesting approach which makes raising it a lot easier and more accurate.

Im not familiar with the 650 since I don’t have one. Can you post a picture of the primer assembly? There has to be a way to adjust it unless it’s built into the machine. Can you not remove the primer slide from the machine?

You can do all of that and in the end you will have only wasted your time. The XL650 primer seating punch seats primers just fine for ignition on non fooled with guns (assuming your shell plate is adjusted correctly).