Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Level 1 Match, New Holland Rifle & Pistol Club, July 2019

B81

I completed my first USPSA match yesterday. I competed in Single Stack (major). I screwed up a couple of the stages, especially stage 5. It was a fun experience. I hope to jump back into the frey next month.

Video of the match is posted below. I welcome any constructive feedback you guys may have.

Edited by B81

@Rugbyrat, the USPSA matches at New Holland Rifle & Pistol are open to the public. (I'm not a member there either.) Match fee is $25. You register on Practiscore. Pay match fee when you sign in at the club.

I've also shot a couple of IDPA matches at Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club. They run a good match, and have a good turn out.

I've heard good things about Ontelaunee Rod and Gun, but I haven't shot there yet.

Happy shooting!

I completed my first USPSA match yesterday. I competed in Single Stack (major). I screwed up a couple of the stages, especially stage 5. It was a fun experience. I hope to jump back into the frey next month.

Video of the match is posted below. I welcome any constructive feedback you guys may have.

relax your right hand, get your left hand as high as possible and crush the gun all the way around. Proper grip and right hand relaxation will allow you to shoot accurately as well as fast

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Congrats on making it out to a match!

A general observation:

Refine your grip. It looks like you are "re-gripping" with your weakhand on many of your shots--notice your weakhand thumb bouncing around.

As you progress, you will find 3rd person footage to be very helpful for reviewing your movement. It doesn't have to be anything special; the vast majority of smart phones have perfectly acceptable cameras. The trick is to make sure that whoever you ask (politely!) to record you gets your whole body. Your legs and feet will tell us a lot.

Oh, and uhhhh . . . you could probably cut a lot of time by leaving out the "make ready" and "unload show clear" portion of your video 😜

Edited by Rez805

12 hours ago, Rugbyrat said:

Nice! Is New Holland open to non-member shooters for these events? I'm about 1.5 hours away and looking for my first shoot.

Yes.  Sunday's match was atypical in that there were many open spots.  The DE State Championship drew a lot of shooters away.  I mention this, because signup on Practiscore is usually full in a couple of minutes.  If you are later than that, chances are you will be on the wait list.  Pretty much the same story with Lower Providence USPSA matches.  Ontelaunee puts on great matches, and a dynamite monster match at the end of the year.

Congrats man on taking the plunge. So many never do. I shot my first match this past January.

Did you have fun? That's the most important part next to be safe.

I agree with the guy that suggested you have someone else video as you run the stage. Way more helpful than first person to seeing where you need to improve.

Don't let this be your last match! Share more.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

On 7/15/2019 at 8:45 PM, Rugbyrat said:

Nice! Is New Holland open to non-member shooters for these events? I'm about 1.5 hours away and looking for my first shoot.

All USPSA matches held anywhere are open to the public.

I'm a member at NH. I'm usually at their matches but missed this one. 

Also...definitely need to work on that weak hand grip. You basically reset your grip on every shot. That's not going to help your accuracy or speed at all.

Also...put one in the chamber then put in a full mag. Going to slide lock for every reload is adding like a second to each of your reloads, and with single stack there are a lot of them..

Stage planning...you want to try to break up the shooting into 8 round arrays so you can reload while you move. Coming into a new position with only a few rounds in the gun kills you when you have to do a standing reload.

Sometimes they are unavoidable when shooting SS, but try to avoid them and reload on the move when you can.

For example, on the last stage you only shot 4 shots from the second to last box, but you had to shoot 10 in the last position. The last two targets you shot were available from the previous box, so you should have shot them from there, then you wouldn't have had a standing reload in the last box. 

Sometimes shooting SS or Production there are 10 or 12 round arrays that you'd like to shoot from one spot, but it helps to "borrow" some rounds from the previous mag if you can see some of those targets from elsewhere. 

This sort of stuff will come to you soon. For your first match it looks like you were pretty accurate (nice hits on all the steel). SS is a challenge for a first timer for sure. 

Edited by waktasz

10 hours ago, B81 said:

I didn't register in time for that one. I'm going to try for the next USPSA match at NHRPC.

There are still five spots left for Lower Providence.

It's full. There are 5 people who haven't squadded...or maybe that squad has extra slots to allow people to bounce around.

Ever register for a match that fills really fast, then want to swap squads with someone but can't because there's no way to move to an empty squad? 
Squadding gridlock!

Edited by waktasz

5 hours ago, B81 said:

@zzt Practiscore is showing the Aug 3rd USPSA match to be full. Which LPRGC listing are you looking at? (Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one.)

This is what I'm looking at: https://www.practiscore.com/lprgc-lower-providence-uspsa-august-2019-match/register

I'm already registered, so maybe that is why I can see the 5 open slots in squad 6.  When I log out and then search for the match, I get the same response you did.

You basically have to be on the computer when registration opens.  I registered quickly.  When I refreshed the screen to see who else was on the squad, one was completely filled.  Most had only one or two slots left.  Squad two had 8 spots left.  All told, that took under two minutes.

4 hours ago, waktasz said:

Ever register for a match that fills really fast, then want to swap squads with someone but can't because there's no way to move to an empty squad? 
Squadding gridlock!

You don't have to move to an empty squad.  Just click on the squad you want, then squad me, then the button on the bottom.  If there is still room on the squad you'll be moved.  If not, you are still on your original squad.

On 8/1/2019 at 11:19 PM, B81 said:

I didn't register in time for that one. I'm going to try for the next USPSA match at NHRPC.

There are (surprisingly) still a few spots left for this month's NHRPC match.  Registration closes at noon today, but I'll extend it if these few spots remain available.