Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Tcotter2629

Limcat reliability?

I’m tempted to buy a limcat open gun but I’ve heard concerns about reliability. Anyone had any experience with this? 

Posted (edited)

Mine has been 100% reliable with mbx mags. Even eats up off the shelf 9mm ammo without a spring change.

Ive honestly never heard of a Limcat having reliability issues unless it was caused by mag or ammo.

Do you mind sharing what you heard? 

Edited by love2fishnshoot

Great guns and great people to do business with!!

if you have an issue, they will resolve your problem.

Johnny and Julian have been great to deal with.

My Limcat was the only open gun I have owned that gave me absolutely zero problems.  I was the second owner and reached out to them for some details about the gun, Julian was very very helpful and discussed a starting load for the gun at length.  You won’t be disappointed if you decide to go with them.

2 hours ago, love2fishnshoot said:

Mine has been 100% reliable with mbx mags. Even eats up off the shelf 9mm ammo without a spring change.

Ive honestly never heard of a Limcat having reliability issues unless it was caused by mag or ammo.

Do you mind sharing what you heard? 

The issues I was hearing were related to feeding and ejecting issues Which I know is not fully due in part to the build itself but a lot of local guys in my area have what seems to be a lot of feeding issues with their limcat open guns. Could be they are all having ammo or mag related issues but they all have had to send their gun back at one time or another. That being said I’m also new to the idea of open been shooting limited and am used to my gun just straight running no matter I feed it. 

9 hours ago, Tcotter2629 said:

The issues I was hearing were related to feeding and ejecting issues Which I know is not fully due in part to the build itself but a lot of local guys in my area have what seems to be a lot of feeding issues with their limcat open guns. Could be they are all having ammo or mag related issues but they all have had to send their gun back at one time or another. That being said I’m also new to the idea of open been shooting limited and am used to my gun just straight running no matter I feed it. 

Ah gotcha. If you’re having one built Johnny suggest sending him the mags to tune to each gun. Would also help if you told him what your ammo specs are or even send him a sample. Either way they are great guys to deal with and will go out of their way to make sure your gun works. You won’t be disappointed with a Limcat! 

11 minutes ago, love2fishnshoot said:

Ah gotcha. If you’re having one built Johnny suggest sending him the mags to tune to each gun. Would also help if you told him what your ammo specs are or even send him a sample. 

That seems unnecessary. A well built gun should work with any mag that isn’t defective. 

As for ammo specs, I can understand a builder recommending a load. But sending in samples? 

23 minutes ago, Sarge said:

That seems unnecessary. A well built gun should work with any mag that isn’t defective. 

As for ammo specs, I can understand a builder recommending a load. But sending in samples? 

On the magazine part, how many threads on Enos are dedicated to mag issues especially in open and limited guns? It would seem that a builder would really like people to get their mags tuned the gun that way there's no issues. I have no limcats or any other real open guns, so I have no dog in the fight but, it seems like having a builder want to double-check mags so function is 100% would be a good thing.

17 minutes ago, RJH said:

a builder double-checking mags for function  is good .

Don't see any downside  ...

When my boat comes in (ha ha), and I buy a Limcat, I'll take

him up on that opportunity to have him tune the mags.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I don’t reload my own ammo yet so he suggested I send what I was going to be shooting (Everglades and Atlanta arms). He didn’t think it was necessary to check the mags either since they were brand new mbx.

But when I had a limited gun built I was using gen 1 Sti mags with taran parts. He did end up having to tune those to proper specs. Which he did at no charge

One good thing is everyone I know who has a limcat even though they’ve experienced issues raves about Johnny’s customer service 

I have had 2 and still own one of them. Both have been great, about as close to 100% as one could be. I have had a handful of fail to feeds but it was because I let my mag springs go to long. I would definitely recommend them, they have a unique style and its not for everyone but the guns work.

Owning 3 open major Limcats for a long period of time  , over the years my issues have been at high round counts with weak or broken extractors  . Other than those , i have no issues . I average 1200 rounds a week and I kinda expect everything to wear out or brake eventually shooting major .

Having many open limcat shooters locally to me , most other issues i see are mag related. I learned how to tune the mags to the guns early on and don't have any mag related issues. I see most of those issues with new , inexperienced shooters . Once they get the mags set , sometimes they do send everything in for adjustments, they seem to run normally . I have also witnessed most the major builders guns stop for one reason or another . It's like others have said before, the gun, mags everything is a system, they need to work together for reliability , with any builder .

Have 4 of Johnny’s guns, 3 have ran perfect from day one and one had an ejection problem that has been resolved.

Great customer service!

I have more of Johnny’s guns sitting here than I would like to admit and two are 9mm major open guns. They run 110%. The new build nearly complete will be the same I would imagine. Do your part and they run flawlessly. Customer service is crazy good and the Lims are hoot to know and hang out with. 

Posted (edited)
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:35 PM, Tcotter2629 said:

The bane of many, many great gunsmiths.  It's the equivalent of the guy who buys a Ferrari, then runs the cheapest grade of Rotten Robbie gas, buys his oil at 7-11 and his tires at the recycling center, then complains about how crappy his Ferrari runs and corners!

I've seen many guys with guns built by name gunsmiths, who are down in the gravel at every match scrounging every piece of crap brass, buy the cheapest bullets they can find, don't own a case gauge,never clean or maintain their mags or guns and then blame the gunsmith if their gun isn't absolutely flawless.

Edited by Ming the Merciless