Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Dutchman195

World Shoot Points Tally

Trying to understand why World Shoot points where only used in the past calendar year when it has been 4 years since the last WS. Why not use all the points you have accumulated since the day after the last one? 

Seems that it would make more sense that way, and since it always comes down to money, that would force more people to be involved for a longer period of time. 

I also dont understand with PS why we had to enter our points and match names, you'd think there would be some big record of that (like the IDPA website).

Not trying to knock it, just trying to understand why. 

In the past they did let you count up point in between rather than just one year prior. I think the hq staff reduction and move necessitated the change.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

In the past they did let you count up point in between rather than just one year prior. I think the hq staff reduction and move necessitated the change.

Again,

If only there was a website that could auto do that.

35 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

Again,

If only there was a website that could auto do that.

yeah, the multiple steps practiscore and human review aspect of it is bewildering.

7 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

yeah, the multiple steps practiscore and human review aspect of it is bewildering.

Or the lack of clarity into the process. Like how I have to search the Facebook post comments for information. 

Which after reading it. Sounds like they are approving people in blocks by the week?

Unpopular personal opinion. If you got a trophy at the last WS you should get the opportunity to go back this year. then open registration. 5 divisions x 5 classes x 1st-3rd in each class thats only 75 spots out of the hopefully 400 spots. And probably guarantee some of those people wont go, soooo.

Can someone point me to the policy document for WS selection?

I had 8 points and knew I would be put on the waitlist but I’m seeing where people who had 12 points also got put on the waitlist. They are making it where you have to spend a ton of money on travel, fees, etc to guarantee a spot unless you get one of the reserved slots for industry/sponsored shooters.

I had 8 points and knew I would be put on the waitlist but I’m seeing where people who had 12 points also got put on the waitlist. They are making it where you have to spend a ton of money on travel, fees, etc to guarantee a spot unless you get one of the reserved slots for industry/sponsored shooters.

Agreed

How is anyone on a budget or does not have the time ever going to be able to shoot Nationals. HQ really does not give a crap about the shooters. Just revenue, PCC and Wilson Combat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Frank705 said:

Agreed

How is anyone on a budget or does not have the time ever going to be able to shoot Nationals. HQ really does not give a crap about the shooters. Just revenue, PCC and Wilson Combat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know some people from around me were trying to last minute fly around the country to try and get into matches to get points. I can only hope they didn't waste a ton of money to not get in.

Random Thoughts:

Lets just assume anything over 15 points got in. That means you'd have to shoot 5- Level 4 matches in the last calendar year to be able to go to World Shoot.

Also Interesting that HQ sent out a email that says nearly 50% of the slots were to international competitors, but the International competitors were assigned slots based on a random draw (hows that fair). So I woulda had a better chance registering my member number in Canada and then trying to get in.

700 entries and 400 spots. And based on the above, about 200 of those were international only. So only 200 US competitors got in.  

IPSC world shoot, on the other hand, had 1500 competitors 

The real question....Will I be able to walk on? 

And with a system like PS, We should be able to see who leads the Nationals points list overall in the sport.

Edited by Dutchman195

This IDPA Worlds will not be about the best shooting against the best. It's a participation award match.

36 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

This IDPA Worlds will not be about the best shooting against the best. It's a participation award match.

So say you have a guy in Italy who shoots every level 2 and higher that the country offers.

And you have another guy in Italy who doesn't really shoot anything but a club match once every now and then.

These two people, per the email from HQ, have the exact same chance of getting into the World Shoot. Since it is a random draw.

Posted (edited)

Anyone get emails today? Sitting with 19 with no word. However, looks like some are squading tomorrow with 19 according to FB posts. 

Edited by PokerNGuns

wow,, and you guys still give these clowns money ?

10 hours ago, Dutchman195 said:

So say you have a guy in Italy who shoots every level 2 and higher that the country offers.

And you have another guy in Italy who doesn't really shoot anything but a club match once every now and then.

These two people, per the email from HQ, have the exact same chance of getting into the World Shoot. Since it is a random draw.

Actually a guy Who shoots matches in Italy has the exact same chance as one Who has a valid membership with a classifier in Nepal

It's because they call it a Worlds, so people come out of the woodwork to supposedly poach an easy world champ title.

26 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Have you ever listened to a podcast about USPSA and not heard complaints about rules?  I personally like both despite flaws that exist in each, including this confusion over “Worlds” slot distributions.

2 minutes ago, PokerNGuns said:

not heard complaints about rules

agreed. I see almost equal arguing in either, but it is about wildly different things when you're actually shooting a match.

the arguing in both is very similar when it is stuff away from the match.

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, Joe4d said:

There is the problem. for 105/3 yr its literally not even 1% of what I spend on ammo and gas and match fees. Since I shoot 1 or 2 IDPA majors a year its worth it.

16 hours ago, HardbutFair said:

Actually a guy Who shoots matches in Italy has the exact same chance as one Who has a valid membership with a classifier in Nepal

Which is even dumber. So technically, in the universe of probability. The random assignment of WS Slots could in theory alienate a entire country right? 

Which brings up a interesting fairness question. If HQ sees that say 5 people from South Africa applied, and none of them got in per the computer generated random selection, would HQ then go and say, we want representation from all countries, give one of those people a slot? 

Edited by Dutchman195

For a "world" shoot, 400 people should be a division, not an entire match......

Carry Optic, CDP, ESP, SSP, CCP, Bug. That's 6 pistol divisions.  So 67 people could make up an entire division (if allotted equally) for a world championship event....... Now break it down MM, SS, EX and MA. That puts 17 in each classification, again if divided up equally and not taking into account DM.

You shoot against 17 random SSP SS and win and you get to claim SSP Sharpshooter World Champ? Right................

I've been a DC at least 6 times, won EX at Nats and I'm not in the match but wanted to be. There are great shooters out there who should be in this match if they want to be. If you're gonna limit quantity then you better up quality.

Posted (edited)

This doesn't seem to follow the statement that 'All internationals are random Draw'

A whole 2 squads named IDPA CHINA

Per the IDPA member Website there are 24797 Listed Members

861 members listed with a Chinese Registration. or about 3.47% of the membership base

USA members 17839

So if about 50% of the slots went to internationals. 200 slots, 12% of the WS slots went to IDPA China. 

IDPA china.PNG

Edited by Dutchman195

IDPA China is a substantial sponsor as well as a rather strange source of shooters, so it figures they will get preference. 

Last year when it was merely the Nationals, four of us here entered with 8 points each.  We didn't make the cut.

I got plucked on the random draw.  I declined, I didn't care enough to go by myself.

Then two of my group got picked when they drew for that and other places left open.  I told one, a new MM shooter, "I will go along and caddy." 

So when we got there, I was offered yet another place.  But I hadn't taken my gear.  So I followed her around with ammo and water and a bit of coaching.

The other guy in my club that got a last minute opening DNF on heat exhaustion. 

Well I plan on booking a room as if I will get in and going and shooting pcc like I'm already in; and then going with money and ready to shoot every morning and afternoon and asking if they have an open spot.

A friend drove up last year on Thursday and got in just taking a chance and was able to shoot fri/sat....seems like there was some bad weather on East coast that prevented people from coming.