Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do glocks ejection pattern beat up RDS?

Sandbagger123

i have a gen 3 glock 34 and am thinking of getting it milled for a red dot. looking at a few freinds that have red dots on their glocks ,  i noticed it seems common for the brass to hit the red dot on the way out.  so is this basically something they all do?  yeah yeah i know they are tool and expect them to get beat up, but to me i like to keep my stuff looking good if possible 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard it's a mixed bag on the Apex extractor so I never spent the $60 to find out. In stock configuration I think just about all Gen 3 & 4 will beat up the dot. The Gen 5 extracts much better and I don't think you'd have much of a problem with a Gen 5. 

17.3 milled almost at the rear of the slide, 11lb recoil spring, Viper RDS which is on the small side. In the range of 7k rounds, brass hits me sometimes, pretty sure it has never hit the dot.

I had a G17 with dove tail mount for a FF3. Yes, the brass worked over the frame of the FF3 really good. Just enough to remove the finish. If I ever go CO again, will consider a tall rear sight in front of the Red Dot Sight. 

Apex will help.Speeding up the slide will help. Finding a single headstamp brass will help.

This is a feature not a problem  per Glock, smith and wesson, etc. THE sight is going to get hit

doing the for mentioned will reduce the problem. A sight in front of red dot will help a lot.  Apex 

helped the most.not 100% fix.  

2 hours ago, AHI said:

Speeding up the slide will help.

This. It's load dependent. In my Glocks, light 9mm loads toss the brass up just far enough for the optic to hit them when the slide returns forward, and the brass gets thrown forward. With hotter loads, the brass gets thrown out of the way faster and doesn't touch the optic. Milled slides and RMRs on mine. 

On 7/15/2019 at 4:58 PM, B_RAD said:

Gen 5 seem to have solved the issue. Mine eject  in a slight forward direction. I get no brass hitting the dot from what I can tell. 

I agree. I had to run almost 140 PF in my Gen 4 G34 with milled slide so I would not get that  occasional hit on my DPP. 

In my Gen 5 G17 MOS the brass isn't even close to hitting my DPP even with very low power factor loads. 

My Gen 5 G45 and G43X both really throw the brass.

Edited by BASE772

My gen3 with dovetail mount and vortex venom gets beat up badly. If I had of thought of it earlier I would have taped up the aluminium housing with electrical tape. Glass gets hit too but shows no scratches or marks of any kind.

i run about 136 power factor. I now have a serrated edge on the housing.

3 minutes ago, BigMoneyGrip said:

No sugestions for the 47021 ejector? That fixed ALL of my issues. I no longer have an eratic piece of brass hitting my dot. 

Is that with very mild loads as well or just factory ammo? 

Where did you buy that ejector? Rockyourglock is the only place I found that actually specifies that number, so I ordered one to try in my gen 4 19. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard about it yet. 

8 hours ago, Yondering said:

Where did you buy that ejector? Rockyourglock is the only place I found that actually specifies that number, so I ordered one to try in my gen 4 19. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard about it yet. 

It's for the 19X. You have to get the whole trigger spring housing but it's only about $5. The best money you can spend. 

On 7/21/2019 at 5:29 AM, BigMoneyGrip said:

It's for the 19X. You have to get the whole trigger spring housing but it's only about $5. The best money you can spend. 

Got mine in - it didn't do much to keep brass off the RMR with mild loads. This gun never had an issue with mid-range or hotter loads anyway, and that didn't change.

20 hours ago, Yondering said:

Got mine in - it didn't do much to keep brass off the RMR with mild loads. This gun never had an issue with mid-range or hotter loads anyway, and that didn't change.

Hmmmmm...It fixed mine and most other peoples I've read about. My loads are 4.1gr of BE-86 and a Summers 145 coated and this yields 930fps out of a 34 with an 11lbs spring. And I have a very weak grip. 

That's the difference then. I use a very firm/solid grip, and a load of the level you're using would never contact my RMR anyway with the old ejector. I'm not trying to make minor with my mild loads (GSSF and Steel); I'm using a 100gr coated FP over 3.2gr of Clays, which is a much milder load than yours but cycles reliably for me with a stock gen 4 spring. (FWIW that load does not cycle for any of my shooting buddies in the same gun, they need around 3.8gr to run the same load.) 

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2019 at 12:10 AM, orangeride said:

Gen4 34mos 13lbs spring. 147 moly at 900fps. Very tight grip. DPP lots of issues with empty’s hitting glass. Like every 5 shots. Installed gen5 ejector and extractor. Runs perfect now. 

Do you have part numbers for the gen 5 ejector and extractor?

I am having the same problem. 60% of my brass is is by my right foot, the other 40% is 3 ft in front of me. I am using a G34 Gen 4.